Clunking noise while using e-pedal

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A327

I have a 2018 Leaf and I hear a clunking noise when I drive that is worst when I use e-pedal. I doesn't always happen , but seems to happen most when I'm accelerating from a stop or braking. I brought it to the dealer today and they told me it's a normal noise from the brake actuator. Has anyone else heard this noise? Or heard any clunking noises when they are using e-pedal? It doesn't sound like a normal car noise to me and I'm wondering if the dealer is full of it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Its not normal anything. You likely need to get your shaft lubed...yeah, I know how it sounds but its a common issue. Surprised they didn't mention it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Its not normal anything. You likely need to get your shaft lubed...yeah, I know how it sounds but its a common issue. Surprised they didn't mention it.

Any particular shaft?

I think I'm going to head back over there today and drive another leaf. I'm assuming that one will be quiet and then I can ask the service manager to look at it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Is the issue that there was a manufacturing defect and the front axle shafts were not set to the correct torque in the hub? Or that there is a gap between the shaft and the hub that the grease fills? If it's the former, then why is the grease needed? Can't it just be set to the correct torque? And if it's the latter, should I request that they swap out my hub or axel to correct for the defect?

I suspect that all I'm going to get is the adjusting the torque and maybe some grease give that they have yet to admit there is a problem, but I don't want to put a band aid on it now with the grease and then have to pay for replacement when my warranty is up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Aaron

I’m not too sure any one has ever had to replace anything. But the greasing thing seems to be ongoing.

Anyway. The service bulletin below is covered under warranty and maybe even beyond. Here it is.

NTB 12-055

Just tell them to look that up. Common issue. Simple fix.

Is the issue that there was a manufacturing defect and the front axle shafts were not set to the correct torque in the hub?

It looks like the axles were not correctly torqued or adequately greased. That's an assembly defect.

When I looked up NTB 12-055 it showed it to be valid for Leaf's up to and including 2017. The website didn't mention 2018 or 2019 so it may be a gray area at this point whether a dealer would honor it or not.

goldbrick said:
When I looked up NTB 12-055 it showed it to be valid for Leaf's up to and including 2017. The website didn't mention 2018 or 2019 so it may be a gray area at this point whether a dealer would honor it or not.

Took my 2018 in for it last Nov? Dec?... could have been Oct...

Good to hear. I just hear a faint 'clunk' for the first time when parking my Leaf the other day. It's never happened before and it may have just been the parking brake settling in as the car found its resting position as I was up against one of those concrete parking bars. Still, my first thought was about this issue.

goldbrick said:
Good to hear. I just hear a faint 'clunk' for the first time when parking my Leaf the other day. It's never happened before and it may have just been the parking brake settling in as the car found its resting position as I was up against one of those concrete parking bars. Still, my first thought was about this issue.

Mine started as an occasional noise at first. I would describe more as a "clink" metal on metal sound. It happened when accelerating or decelerating. Reminded me of a car that had a worn u joint.

Back