Rear shocks/struts replacement options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Hi,
My rear shocks are going bad.
Are there any better aftermarket shocks/struts replacement choices?
Ideally, I'd like to keep my OEM springs. (NOTE: I don't want to with coilover setups due to higher costs)

I would also like to try the latest Bilstein gas shocks; if they are a proper fitment for 2011 Leafs but I don't know if they are.

Can anyone here help to suggest?

Thanks.

UPDATE:
I finally had my rear shocks replaced.
The OEM shocks which were removed are actually gas unit shocks.
Looks like monotubes.. not sure. The manufacturer is KYB.

Sadly, there were no nice aftermarket shock/strut options available from either Koni or Bilstein.
I saw the Megan Racing coilover kit but I didn't want to spend all that money and have the vehicle lower than what it is now just with stock 16in wheels. If I had stock 17in, yeah maybe...

I went with a pair of KYB Excel-G shocks which are OEM replacements.
The local shop sold them to me for $50 a piece. Yeah, I can get em cheaper on the Internet but didn't want to wait around.
Local shop install was $140 for 2 rear corners, and $60 for alignment. All up, $300 drive away, for both the rear shocks replaced.

Hope this helps others searching around here in the future...

Keywords: coilovers, shocks struts, suspension replacement

UPDATE:
I finally had my rear shocks replaced.
The OEM shocks which were removed are actually gas unit shocks.
Looks like monotubes.. not sure. The manufacturer is KYB.

Sadly, there were no nice aftermarket shock/strut options available from either Koni or Bilstein.
I saw the Megan Racing coilover kit but I didn't want to spend all that money and have the vehicle lower than what it is now just with stock 16in wheels. If I had stock 17in, yeah maybe...

I went with a pair of KYB Excel-G shocks which are OEM replacements.
The local shop sold them to me for $50 a piece. Yeah, I can get em cheaper on the Internet but didn't want to wait around.
Local shop install was $140 for 2 rear corners, and $60 for alignment. All up, $300 drive away, for both the rear shocks replaced.

Hope this helps others searching around here in the future...

Keywords: coilovers, shocks struts, suspension replacement
Curious how those shocks worked out for you. It’s been 4 years. Were you happy with them? It’s time to replace my 2016 rear shocks. Would you go with the same choices you did in 2019?

Back