PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Re: 2015 Nissan Leaf isn’t charging

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 am

clprop wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 pm
So we haven’t been able to set up a home charger. We actually use a public charging station around the corner from our house. And I’m sure it was working because it was charging a car on the opposite side charger. (I tried both plugs once they were free and neither worked. It kept saying “waiting for vehicle...”)
Yes, that is exactly what happened to me with a ChargePoint level 2. I went to a municipal charging station across town and it worked fine.

The included 120v Nissan charger draws about 1300 W and isn't too taxing on modern home circuits. I started off using an extension cord, but after a while, enough oxidation at the plugs made the cord get warmer than I was comfortable with. Plugging it directly into an outlet in a ramshackle garage has been working fine, though.
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:31 am

The included 120v Nissan charger draws about 1300 W and isn't too taxing on modern home circuits.
As long as they aren't already powering more than a light or two. Since it's a continuous load you don't want the circuit, if 15 amp, drawing more than 1500 watts continuous.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

clprop
Delivery Date: 12 Oct 2019

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 am

Well thankfully my husband went and found a charging station that seems to be working just fine! So it must have been the other station. I hope, anyway.

As far as charging at home, we don’t have an outlet that fits our charger in the garage. The guy who we called to install it said he wouldn’t do it unless we upgraded the wiring, which I’m not going to do for a rental. The guys who live below us have stuff plugged in constantly. In theory we could maybe run an extension to the basement where the dryer is, but the part that gets me nervous is something possible going wrong with the car if there’s too much plugged in. We didn’t really see it as an issue if we couldn’t manage to charge at home because the station is a 5 minute walk from us. It would be nice, though.

This is our first electric car, if you couldn’t tell...

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:14 pm

There's a learning curve, all right. One of the prime Rules of driving an EV is "Always have a backup charging option." There is a way that you could have L-2 charging at home, but it might be too labor intensive and pricey: There is a device that will manually or automatically switch loads between a dryer and an EV charging station. You would also apparently need an electrician to make you a 240 volt extension cable to the basement and that dryer outlet. There may also be code issues. You might also price having just one 120 volt 20 amp circuit, with one outlet, installed to plug in an L-1 charging cable. If you have the Nissan original cable, then a 15 amp circuit would be better. If you had to acquire the cable anyway, there are charging cables available that will charge at 16 amps on 120 volts, rather than the 12 amps the Nissan cable uses. Just keep in mind that 120 volt charging is quite slow.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”