2012 OBC Failure - Blown Chip on Circuit Board

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

net0drive

Hi Folks! My car won't charge on AC (fortunately I have 2 DC Fast Chargers in town)
Quick deets:
2012 with 80K miles and 8 bars. Purchased locally 18 months ago and have had no issues for 15K miles of EV bliss. Daily charging at home using GE Wattstation.
Just last week we saw a warning light on the EVSE but after a couple tries it charged fine. Didn't think anything of it. A few days later - no charge at all! When plugged in, the car lights the right blue indicator on the dash, makes some clicking, the EVSE energizes the (rather loud) contactor, and it appears to charge for about 12 seconds, then switches off.

DTCs:
B2840 016C CHARGER On Board Charger VC-74
P3173 00C0 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236

Trouble-shooting:
Tried on Chargepoint L2 with same results.
Tried L1 Nissan plug-in also same results.
Tested Prox pin = 4.2VDC
Tested Pilot wire: Observed some level of KOhm in both directions but after a few seconds they go to infinite ohms, in both directions.
Opened up the OBC and inspected the circuit boards, hoping to find an easy diode that might be blown in open circuit, but every diode looks healthy.
Then I saw a chip on the lower board with a small hole in it, as if a tiny little explosive blew away a bit of the plastic. It is a 16 pin chip and some of the letters are missing (blown away), but the second line reads: [delta]U 16ZF7GW
(once I figure out how to post an image I will happily share the picture)

Can I assume that this OBC is dead? Another casualty of the GE Wattstation car-killer?
I was wondering - since a number of Leaf drivers have had to replace their OBC 's, some due to diode failure on the upper board, does anyone have a good lower circuit board sitting around? I could swap it in and test to see if it works. Since the car is down to 8 bars I am not planning on buying a $1600 new OBC - (and than possibly a new EVSE as well......)

Thanks so much for reading!

Is it IC312 on the circuit board? That is the Power Factor Controller (PFC) chip, UC2854BDW, which has a 1A push-pull driver on it's output to the terminals marked "6" on the rows of double solder joints in the upper left corner of the bottom board.

If it has blown then there may be damage underneath the bottom circuit board in the waffle plate™, which is an epoxy coated board with all the high power devices mounted against the coolant heatsink.

You can test the waffle plate using a meter with a diode checker. You will need to remove all the white plastic tab connections to the capacitor and inductors. Hold the wire and slide the white housing up slightly to depress the clip and release the faston tabs.

See the following for more details:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4079&start=60#p36839

DTC B2840
1tOD19i.png

Bumping this thread back to the top.

I'm currently in a similar position with a faulty OBC. It has been pulled out and cracked open to begin the real work.

OP did you ever get your OBC repaired?

Were you able to pull any of the DTCs? They can help give some idea of where to start looking, e.g. on the AC input side or the HVDC output side.

Back