2012 SL started to charge at 3.6kw instead of 3.7kw

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrey

Using ChargePoint (CP) L2 charger all the time at office. Some time started to see charge level (in CP app) started to jump between 3.6 and 3.7kw. Now it's 3.6kw stably. Will try to measure the current when I'll get to socket in the morning, not giving up key to valet.

What could be wrong with the car if it's not CP fault?

Possibly lower voltage at work.

At my work, we have dozens of ChargePoint CT4000 EVSEs. On my Leaf with "6.6 kW" OBC, I may get anywhere from about 5.8 to 6.2 kW depending on where and when. The only time I can get 6.6 kW is to use an EVSE that has 240 volt supply voltage. At least two different Targets that I don't visit regularly have CT4000s and I guess they supply 240 volts.

And, I can confirm in one of Leaf Spy's screens ~6.0 kW when charging at 6.6 kW. This is expected. When at 5.8 to 6.2 kW, those screens show (IIRC, about 5.3 to 5.5 kW).

On my Bolt, it's usually maybe around 5.9 to 6.2 kW at work. I've only hit 7.2 or 7.3 kW again at one of the aforementioned Targets.

208 volts * 30 amps = 6,240 watts = 6.24 kW

I know some folks w/Teslas tell me the voltage readings at my work, and it's usually a bit below 208 volts, sometimes like 199 volts. 30 amps is the max amperage of CT4000 stations per side, assuming each handle is on a 40 amp feed.

BTW, I just noticed you mentioned '12. I haven't plugged in a '11 or '12 Leaf in awhile. On our 208 volt feeds, they tend to actually pull about 3.8 kW.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't say anything is necessarily "wrong". Could be talking about just a few watts difference to make it jump between those numbers. Any number of possible reasons including other power demands on the circuit, or simply colder temperatures. Just to make sure it's not a poor connection that could affect the car, feel the charging handle after charging for an hour or so to make sure it's not unreasonably warm, and visibly inspect the charge handle before connecting it to your car to verify there are no signs of heat or other damage (cracked or discolored plastic, etc). A good practice to follow when using any public charging, and also occasionally at home.

What does it draw on a non chargepoint charger?
Until you plug it into something else you can't rule out the charger.

Andrey said:
Using ChargePoint (CP) L2 charger all the time at office. Some time started to see charge level (in CP app) started to jump between 3.6 and 3.7kw. Now it's 3.6kw stably. Will try to measure the current when I'll get to socket in the morning, not giving up key to valet.

What could be wrong with the car if it's not CP fault?

How can you expect a reliable answer when we don't know what kind of car you have or its level 2 capability?

There is likely nothing wrong with the car and you are thinking that CP is that consistent because it is not. I would consider 3.6 or 3.7 to essentially be the same.

You really cannot worry with a complaint like that...

3.6?, 3.7?, 3.8? who cares? The cars change their charging rates all the time, and even DURING the charging session.

I think you should relax and chill out.

DaveinOlyWA said:
How can you expect a reliable answer when we don't know what kind of car you have or its level 2 capability?

There is likely nothing wrong with the car
OP stated in the subject "2012 SL". As you probably know since you had an '11, those cars had a "3.3 kW" OBC that actually pulled up to 3.8 kW from the wall. We used to a fair # of those at my work and I've plugged them in before. Now, those make up a tiny proportions of plug-ins at my work. We have lots of ChargePoint CT4000 stations at my work.

When we had a fair # of '11 and '12 Leafs, we only had the older CT2000 series stations and in another building which I don't go to any longer (too far). And, those stations have been replaced.

I agree with the latter.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

There is likely nothing wrong with the car
OP stated in the subject "2012 SL". As you probably know since you had an '11, those cars had a "3.3 kW" OBC that actually pulled up to 3.8 kW from the wall. We used to a fair # of those at my work and I've plugged them in before. Now, those make up a tiny proportions of plug-ins at my work. We have lots of ChargePoint CT4000 stations at my work.

When we had a fair # of '11 and '12 Leafs, we only had the older CT2000 series stations and in another building which I don't go to any longer (too far). And, those stations have been replaced.

I agree with the latter.

:shock: :? :roll: :lol:

Well, I for one am glad it didn't have teeth!

cwerdna said:
Oilpan4 said:
What does it draw on a non chargepoint charger?
Until you plug it into something else you can't rule out the charger.
Are you talking about the EVSE or charger, which is on-board the car?

I meant the evse in question.
Try it on 2 or more different evse units that are known to put out say 5kw or more, then you know it's the car.

Thanks everyone, it's tracked down to lower voltage in charger's network - now all back to normal, 3.7kw. Never saw this before and wondered if it will degrade furthermore and what to do with that if so. For sake my Leaf doesn't take 6.6kw so I'm already overpaying 2x when charging at work because it's paid by time, and don't want this situation to become even worse.

Back