SGCars
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2013

Brake maintenance - How to avoid seized brakes

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Now that it's getting warmer and it's time to change tires for the season, you might as well maintain your brakes to keep them from prematurely seizing. Here's a video on how to do it yourself:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/kCz0AICuBJ8[/youtube]

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Brake maintenance - How to avoid seized brakes

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Good idea. Since you're removing calipers it would also be good to clean and lubricate the other sliding surfaces, and between the pads and shims. I'll be doing this to get rid of my "backup squeal". Thanks
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:09 pm

I put anti brake drag springs on mine a few weeks ago and the sliders were fine.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
I put anti brake drag springs on mine a few weeks ago and the sliders were fine.
I'm sure that how fast the sliders get sticky depends on the climate and the degree to which the friction brakes get used.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:01 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Good to know. Worth an inspection at least, though.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:59 am

This is not necessary... The poster's car looks very rusty so maybe he needed to do that.

Those bolts will always be dirty, no matter how new they are. The only time you need to do this is if you are having "seizing" problems already. And even then, you will not notice any "seizing" until the brake pads wear out, and and you will see that the pads have worn unevenly. That is the only symptom of the slide pins.

This is not needed and not dangerous to any car owners. Brakes do not need maintenance, and will last the life of the brake pads.

I would not recommend people taking their cars to a mechanic for this or trying this as a mechanical project. This is almost the same amount of work as changing the brakes completely. You will be charged $$$ for no benefit.

If you already know how to change brakes, then knock yourself out.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:14 am

Those bolts will always be dirty, no matter how new they are. The only time you need to do this is if you are having "seizing" problems already. And even then, you will not notice any "seizing" until the brake pads wear out, and and you will see that the pads have worn unevenly. That is the only symptom of the slide pins.
Nope.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:15 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:14 am
Nope.
Are you saying that the grease may not be dirty? Ok, the grease may not be dirty if the brakes have recently been done.

Just because the grease may be dirty does not mean that you have to change it.

I have been doing my brakes for 40 years, and have yet to hear of someone pulling the pins out to re-grease them as maintenance.

Like I said, if you really want to do this procedure and know how to do it.... Go right ahead.

Regular people should not be told that this is a necessary maintenance item.. And people should not think that they have to have this done by a mechanic or try to do it themselves..

Re-greasing the caliper slide pins is done during a brake pad replacement.....

gncndad
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 am

powersurge wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:15 am

I have been doing my brakes for 40 years, and have yet to hear of someone pulling the pins out to re-grease them as maintenance.
I've not done my brakes for years, but for sure, my 2005 Tundra pins would seize up if not lubed every 2-3 years. The Tundra, and the Tacoma, went through several years of extreme rust: it seems all the attaching hardware was pot-metal, and in addition, the frames rusted like crazy. Totally different animals than the Leaf, of course...

I guess the question is, especially for vehicles that might go 8-10 years w/o brake replacement or service, whether or not the friction points in the Leaf brakes are susceptible to corrosion and seizing.
2015 LeafS
2018 Toyota Prius Two (son's car)
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited

SGCars
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2013

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:43 am

I think it comes down to local climate and road salt. If you live in Texas, you may never see this as an issue, but if you live up north where there is salt on the roads, then your car will suffer from this kind of neglect (salty water will seeps into the slide pin housing where where iron will rust, expand, and lock up the slide pin). The purpose of this is to remove grit, salt and water contamination to avoid rust, and the fresh silicone grease acts as a water repellent barrier. You may skip this maintenance if your climate allows it, but it's up to you.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”