Juicebox hard to plug into leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothsahn

I just got a Juicebox Classic 40 (used) and I plugged it into my Leaf. While I didn't have to force it, it didn't plug into the J1772 port as easily as the Nissan EVSE. I noticed that I had to lift up on the handle to get it to click into place and start charging the car. I looked at the plug and it looks clean and undamaged.

Is this typical? It's not hard to lift up the handle a little, but I've never had to do it before, so I hope there's not a problem with the plug...

I had that with a Chinese J-1772 plug on an old refurbished Clipper Creek unit. (The plug wasn't put on by Clipper Creek.) It wasn't TOO hard, just...harder, to push. You can try a little dielectric silicone grease spread on the plug, on the outer surface of the cylinder that contains the pins. Or you can take coarse sandpaper and sand the same region (before greasing!) to make the diameter a tiny bit smaller. I'm surprised to see this issue on a JuiceBox...

I've had that problem at various times with J1772. Once with a OpenEVSE. Had a heck of a time getting the plug out of my leaf. I was in the middle of nowhere it was 110 F and the owner wasn't around. I lived to charge another day.

Paul

webeleafowners said:
We have a clipper creek unit outside and Juice Box in the garage. The Juicebox is harder than the Clipper creek. A little wiggling needed.

Good to know. The seller informed me this is the original plug, so apparently it just needs a little wiggling, as you said. I may try to sand it, when I figure out exactly where it's binding up.

You could try "blueprinting" it. Coat it lightly with whatever nontoxic dye or dye-like substance you have at hand, slide it in, then back out, and look for where the dye is gone.

LeftieBiker said:
You could try "blueprinting" it. Coat it lightly with whatever nontoxic dye or dye-like substance you have at hand, slide it in, then back out, and look for where the dye is gone.

Great suggestion. Thanks Leftie!

I had this issue when I was hanging the cord or leaving it on the garage floor and didn't have a holder to put it in. After inserting normally I had to push in and down to get it seated properly (otherwise the Leaf would start doing the triple beep error). Once I went back to putting it into the mount eventually the issue subsided. If it gets really bad there's information about this and how to fix on the JuiceBox help site.

Back