gncndad
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016
Location: Ft. Worth, TX

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Tue May 12, 2020 9:01 am

Is there anyone on this forum that has a DC-region Nissan dealership they might recommend?
2015 LeafS
2018 Toyota Prius Four Touring
2018 Toyota Prius Two
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited

Goodbar
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Sat May 30, 2020 8:07 pm

I was able to replicate the problem with the car on stands today while I was doing scheduled maintenance. I put a floor jack under the control arm and turned the steering wheel lock to lock. I studied the original video (higher res than below) at 1/4-speed and couldn't see anything moving/vibrating as the two sounds happened a few seconds apart. I left in a lock-lock sequence afterward so you can see that it's silent.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xV3jMGgfkp2MynU2A

Got another twofer of clunks/pops when backing out of the driveway:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w3XxsDpknFqMB3s86

It amazes me that the dealer hasn't been able to fix this, but I think I need to get over it. Looking for help with two things:
  1. Competent dealers in the Metro D.C. area
  2. Input from those who have successfully escalated a difficult issue through Nissan USA
Thanks!
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5735
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Sat May 30, 2020 10:43 pm

Goodbar wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:07 pm
I was able to replicate the problem with the car on stands today while I was doing scheduled maintenance. I put a floor jack under the control arm and turned the steering wheel lock to lock. I studied the original video (higher res than below) at 1/4-speed and couldn't see anything moving/vibrating as the two sounds happened a few seconds apart. I left in a lock-lock sequence afterward so you can see that it's silent.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xV3jMGgfkp2MynU2A

Got another twofer of clunks/pops when backing out of the driveway:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w3XxsDpknFqMB3s86

It amazes me that the dealer hasn't been able to fix this, but I think I need to get over it. Looking for help with two things:
  1. Competent dealers in the Metro D.C. area
  2. Input from those who have successfully escalated a difficult issue through Nissan USA
Thanks!
Maybe I'm mistaken but the top of the strut seems to have a lot of play.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Lothsahn
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am

While I can't help you with the DC dealer or Nissan escalation (in fact, I've had an unsuccessful escalation with them), I will say, in the event that any dealer tries to tell you otherwise, that this behavior is not normal. I have a 2011 and my car has never done this--bang or twang sound.

Good luck :)
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Goodbar
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Lothsahn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am
While I can't help you with the DC dealer or Nissan escalation (in fact, I've had an unsuccessful escalation with them), I will say, in the event that any dealer tries to tell you otherwise, that this behavior is not normal. I have a 2011 and my car has never done this--bang or twang sound.

Good luck :)
Thanks. I find it insulting — and lazy — that they've suggested that it's normal. I've owned tired old cars that didn't make any noises that after their suspensions were refreshed. So it seems unreasonable that a car I bought new couldn't be fixed. Especially after five visits.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

Lothsahn
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Goodbar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm
Lothsahn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am
While I can't help you with the DC dealer or Nissan escalation (in fact, I've had an unsuccessful escalation with them), I will say, in the event that any dealer tries to tell you otherwise, that this behavior is not normal. I have a 2011 and my car has never done this--bang or twang sound.

Good luck :)
Thanks. I find it insulting — and lazy — that they've suggested that it's normal. I've owned tired old cars that didn't make any noises that after their suspensions were refreshed. So it seems unreasonable that a car I bought new couldn't be fixed. Especially after five visits.
Have you consulted lemon laws in your area? I know in some areas they can be quite generous--If not fixed in X number of times, return car for original purchase price, etc.

Even if you don't want to invoke that, it's often a good way to get the company to wake up and fix the problem. A threat that they have to buy back a 3 year old car at sticker can get the teflon service manager to change his tune quickly (and most of the suspension components on your car).

Alternatively, take it to a competent independent mechanic and they'll probably have it sorted in a few days. At some point, your time and frustration becomes not worth it.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

gncndad
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016
Location: Ft. Worth, TX

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Lothsahn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Have you consulted lemon laws in your area? I know in some areas they can be quite generous--If not fixed in X number of times, return car for original purchase price, etc.

Even if you don't want to invoke that, it's often a good way to get the company to wake up and fix the problem. A threat that they have to buy back a 3 year old car at sticker can get the teflon service manager to change his tune quickly (and most of the suspension components on your car).

Alternatively, take it to a competent independent mechanic and they'll probably have it sorted in a few days. At some point, your time and frustration becomes not worth it.
I"m not aware of any region where Lemon Law is applicable to such an old car (3 years, 22k miles) DC Lemon Law has a 2 year, 18k miles limit.
2015 LeafS
2018 Toyota Prius Four Touring
2018 Toyota Prius Two
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited

Goodbar
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Lothsahn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm
Goodbar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm
Lothsahn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am
While I can't help you with the DC dealer or Nissan escalation (in fact, I've had an unsuccessful escalation with them), I will say, in the event that any dealer tries to tell you otherwise, that this behavior is not normal. I have a 2011 and my car has never done this--bang or twang sound.

Good luck :)
Thanks. I find it insulting — and lazy — that they've suggested that it's normal. I've owned tired old cars that didn't make any noises that after their suspensions were refreshed. So it seems unreasonable that a car I bought new couldn't be fixed. Especially after five visits.
Have you consulted lemon laws in your area? I know in some areas they can be quite generous--If not fixed in X number of times, return car for original purchase price, etc.

Even if you don't want to invoke that, it's often a good way to get the company to wake up and fix the problem. A threat that they have to buy back a 3 year old car at sticker can get the teflon service manager to change his tune quickly (and most of the suspension components on your car).

Alternatively, take it to a competent independent mechanic and they'll probably have it sorted in a few days. At some point, your time and frustration becomes not worth it.
I should have consulted MD's lemon law earlier :(
https://www.peoples-law.org/marylands-lemon-law

.. because I probably would have qualified. I'm over the mileage and age limits, but might still discuss with an attorney. Thanks for the idea.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

Lothsahn
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Goodbar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm
Lothsahn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm
Goodbar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm


Thanks. I find it insulting — and lazy — that they've suggested that it's normal. I've owned tired old cars that didn't make any noises that after their suspensions were refreshed. So it seems unreasonable that a car I bought new couldn't be fixed. Especially after five visits.
Have you consulted lemon laws in your area? I know in some areas they can be quite generous--If not fixed in X number of times, return car for original purchase price, etc.

Even if you don't want to invoke that, it's often a good way to get the company to wake up and fix the problem. A threat that they have to buy back a 3 year old car at sticker can get the teflon service manager to change his tune quickly (and most of the suspension components on your car).

Alternatively, take it to a competent independent mechanic and they'll probably have it sorted in a few days. At some point, your time and frustration becomes not worth it.
I should have consulted MD's lemon law earlier :(
https://www.peoples-law.org/marylands-lemon-law

.. because I probably would have qualified. I'm over the mileage and age limits, but might still discuss with an attorney. Thanks for the idea.
I am not a lawyer, but if you first contacted them within this period, you may qualify. Again, I'm hoping you don't have to go that route, but just voicing you have that stick available can really get teflon people moving.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Goodbar
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017
Location: Washington, D.C. Metro

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm

The problem appears to be solved after taking the car back to Herb Gordon Nissan, where we bought the car, on the penultimate day of our warranty in July. They replaced the right front strut mount. (Which I had suggested was the problem the previous time I took it in!)

So, while I'm glad this is (apparently) fixed, this experience leaves me exasperated with Herb Gordon and Nissan. I know reliability and build quality is somewhat a matter of luck, but this car does not seem to be up to the same quality standards (materials and manufacturing) as previous Hondas, a Toyota and VWs (though VWs get an asterisk for reliability).

This problem required six trips to the dealer to be corrected, out of a total of 11 warranty trips in 34 months. The first trip was in the second month of ownership. Some of those trips could have been easily eliminated by greater competence or giving a hoot about the customer. That's one of my biggest disappointments: The staff at Herb Gordon was cordial, but they just couldn't seem to be bothered to make things right without my repeated attempts. They did provide loaner cars, but between the round-trip drives, swapping car seats to the loaner, and then the reverse, this was a huge waste of time. (The Leaf is our only car, making some logistics trickier.) And while I did get a follow-up a couple days after getting the car back, no one ever said anything along the lines of "Sorry you've had so much trouble with your car. This is really out of the ordinary and we're trying our best to make it right."

Maybe business is so good that they don't need repeat customers?!
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”