Lock/unlock button not springing back -- could this drain 12V battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonMatthews

Recently, my 12V battery has lost charge a couple of times, however, trickle charging it allowed the car to start. The car is a 2016 but, with the lockdown has been used only about once a week for the past couple of months.

I have also noticed that, recently, the lock/unlock button in the driver's door handle does not spring back to its proper position, remaining somewhat recessed. The lock/unlock function works properly.

Is there any possibility that the lock/unlock button not springing back to its proper location could be switching on something that is draining the 12V battery?

I imagine that it is quite possible. Try a drop or two of rubbing alcohol, or as a last resort, WD-40. Make sure you clean the handle afterwards if you use that nasty stuff. If that doesn't free it, you may need to see what fuse you have to pull to disable the power locks until a dealer or mechanic can look at it.

On further inspection, it's not the button staying in, but the door handle coming apart -- the chrome cover is coming away from the rest of the handle.

Is this a frequent problem?

Back