Looking for a Garmin GPS update?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Kevin67, TL;DR: you’ll likely get 2-4 updates a year on a Garmin GPS.

A few years before purchasing my 2012SL new, I got a Garmin GPS and paid an additional $120 one-time fee for lifetime updates. I would get between 2 and 4 updates a year of the entire mapping database. Then the data files got so large the updates were regionalized; if I moved (or drove) into another region, I had to download and apply that region...more than a little inconvenient. Obviously Garmin wanted you to buy a newer unit with much larger memory capacity. I didn’t. After getting the LEAF in Feb 2012 and finding out how old and out-of-date the data were, how remarkably difficult to use the nav was, and how just wrong it was a high percent of the time, I kept the Garmin and used it in the LEAF.

My trip car was never the LEAF given its rapid battery deterioration and now 35-40 mile range so the Garmin became obsolete to me within a year. Then, my 2014 Toyota Venza had quite a decent nav system in it and met all our trip needs. When we sold it and got our Model 3 in July 2018, it too had a nav system meeting all our trip and local needs. So the Garmin and its lifetime of updates got repurposed to a relative for their use.

On the Tesla, map updates come whenever. I’ve received 4 in my two years of ownership. They happen over-the-air and are independent of the far-more-frequently-recurring firmware updates. And unlike firmware updates, you don’t have a choice as they update without owner/driver intervention. You need pretty solid WiFi to get a map update (firmware updates can come through WiFi or cellular) and you’ll see it as a change to the nav version on the info screen, and the 4-5GB chunk of data that goes through your router like a pig through a python. I said map updates are not directly related to firmware updates, at least one firmware update added features that became usable only after a certain map update because the feature depended upon data not present in earlier versions. Even then the map update happened on its own and within about a week of the firmware update requiring it.

At this point, I wouldn't bother replying. I suspect a spammer, given that seem to be pointing to some site. Not clear if the board's software added that or if the OP did.

Back