N[2013 Nissan Leaf S] Need some guidance in troubleshooting my A/C system

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin40277

Hi all! Hope you're all having a good evening. So the A/C in my 2013 Leaf went out, and after browsing these forums as well as googling; I think I just need to re-charge the A/C system. There are no error codes or check engine light on my dashboard that I can see. The AC just blows regular air so I don't think it's the air compressor. I checked all the fuses in the 3 fuse boxes under the hood and they look ok. I haven't checked the battery yet because I don't have a multimeter.

A couple months back my local dealer did a complimentary check up and found these issues with my car:

RBxzmDH.png

However, the AC was working at the time they diagnosed my car; so I didn't bother asking them any questions.

Could the problem be related to the sunload sensor? I'm assuming not because that sensor is related to climate control; I don't care for that; but upon googling the error code B2631, one of the possible causes of this error code is the A/C Auto amp being bad. Can someone explain what that is? Am I right in going towards the option of recharging the AC system myself?

They supposedly replaced the sunload sensor, but if they goofed or the replacement was bad, that could have something to do with the A/C not working - although I would still expect some cold air if that were the case. Leaf A/C systems rarely if ever need to be recharged - yours is the first mention of that I can recall.

AFAIK the PTC heater isn't linked with the A/C, although I suppose it's possible that the PTC may have blown a fuse that at least peripherally is linked to the A/C...

Thank you for approving the post and providing insight. Now that you mention it, my AC did go out after I brought it in for a recall (2011-2019 Nissan LEAF Lithium-ion Battery Bonding Plate Replacement;Service Campaign P9312). The heater also went out after I brought it in for my first recall ( don't remember what that was for; I had to go in for a bunch of re calls as I got the car used from car max ). However I can't blame the heater problem on the mechanics because I see that it is a common problem for the leaf. Heater went out way before the AC so I don't think that could be the problem. I just had a friend come over and check the refridgerant; apprently I have none! I'm guessing I have a leak somewhere of some sort.

The error code for sun load sensor may be present if the system is checked when the car is in the shade (such as inside a service bay) even when there is nothing wrong. The A/C system is hermetically sealed like a home air conditioner so loss of refrigerant would only happen if there is a leak (no compressor shaft seal to leak a small amount over time that causes conventional car system to need periodic addition of refrigerant). There were some leaks due to bad O-ring seals on early 2013 models, but I would expect that O-ring issues would have been addressed a long time ago if they applied to your car. I must question the dealer repair list that shows "transmission service for $289.95 when LEAF does not have a transmission. Reduction gear fluid change requires 2 quarts of fluid, two drain/fill plug gaskets, and less than an hour of labor so it should not cost nearly $300. PTC heater is completely separate from refrigerant system.

I had the above typed before the last messages. Definitely look for damage that would cause refrigerant leak. If you and your friend try to evacuate and recharge the A/C system, be aware that the hermetically-sealed high-voltage compressor requires special lubricating oil along with refrigerant (check labels under the hood and also check service manual). I believe the heat pump system takes different oil than the plain A/C system used in the S models.

From others' posts on the forum, the sunload sensor code doesn't prevent the AC from working. It may not cool as much in bright light, so it may not cool the car as well as before, but it should still blow some cold air.

In short: a sunload sensor code will not be the cause of a completely non-functional AC system.

Gerry is also correct--the sunload code is usually thrown because the technician has the car in shade (a service bay) when pulling codes.

The '13S and newer S models?? had a recall for the A/C. I had mine done several years ago after it wouldn't cool. It turns out a bracket supporting the rubber refrigerant line allowed the hose to rub against something eventually causing a leak. This issue didn't affect the Japanese made Leafs('11 or '12) or SV/SL Leafs with the heatpump. It was free to me to fix as it was a design defect and I believe if paying for the fix it would have cost around $500(but it was a long time ago and my memory may be wrong). I'd make sure the recall was done before doing much more. You shouldn't need to add refrigerant unless you have a leak and if you have a leak you should really just fix it instead of keep having to add refrigerant.

kevin40277- can you verify that that PC-421A/C pipe replacement was done.
If not start there since it will include an A/C system test/recharge.

This link will let you check if there are any recalls outstanding:

https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

You just need to type in your VIN.

Back