2018 Leaf Charging Cable Suddenly Not Working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarPlatinum

So I've tried the charging cable at 3 different places, it doesn't work in either of them however charging at a chargepoint location works. When I plug it into the port that I've been using for the past 2 years with no issues at all, it now has a blinking green and blinking red light. Again, car works and charges fine, I went to the dealership to try to fix it, they said the car was fine but they didn't have any charging ports for the charging cable so couldn't test it. Anybody know what I should do?

More information would be helpful. Where are you located? What voltage are you trying to charge from? There were two different Nissan EVSE units in 2018 for North American cars--one version was just 120 volts while the other version was either 120 or 240 volts.

By "charging cable", I assume you mean EVSE. If you just bought your LEAF from the same dealer, insist that they replace the faulty one.

Otherwise, you can buy a new EVSE on Amazon for less than $400. Finding someone who can repair your broken one would be very challenging and would likely cost a few hundred dollars to repair anyways...

I'm in Canada, bought my leaf 2 years ago and my cable uses 240v, it looks like this one https://www.amazon.ca/Nissan-Leaf-Trickle-charger-296M1-5SA1A/dp/B07M65MTMR but I've gone to the dealership but they did not have a nema 17-50r plug so they couldn't actually test the cable but did test and confirm my car is working completely fine. I'm not sure how I'd get them to replace or test the cable on a nema plug, any suggestions?

StarPlatinum said:
I'm in Canada, bought my leaf 2 years ago and my cable uses 240v, it looks like this one https://www.amazon.ca/Nissan-Leaf-Trickle-charger-296M1-5SA1A/dp/B07M65MTMR but I've gone to the dealership but they did not have a nema 17-50r plug so they couldn't actually test the cable but did test and confirm my car is working completely fine. I'm not sure how I'd get them to replace or test the cable on a nema plug, any suggestions?

Dust off the wallet and hit a public charging station.

Dust off the wallet and hit a public charging station.
[/quote]

The nearest public charging station is a 20 minute, 14km drive away, I'd much rather my cable get fixed but not sure how to.

OP: verify that the warranty on the EVSE applies in your case and if so then call the Nissan EV hotline and describe the problem, including the dealership behavior.

Nissan Customer Service | Contact Us | Nissan USAwww.nissanusa.com › contact-us
EV Customer Support Team. Phone: (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738) Monday through Friday: 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM, CST Chat Now with an EV Support ...

Alternatively, if there is another Nissan dealership nearby give them a call.

If you have the stock EVSE that is included with a 2018, then it will work with both a 120V and 240V (NEMA 14-50p) supply.

index.php

Assuming that's the one you have, as stated by others, it should be covered by warranty.

If you are in Vancouver, take it to Jonker Nissan in Surrey.

On page 93 of the nissan leaf 2018 owners manual, the code is displayed as the 8th one https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2018/2018-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf, also the person above has the same charger as me. Looks to be some sort of temperature issue, also got off the phone with Nissan Canada for 1 hour this morning, they tried to transfer me to a leaf certified dealer for info but then they just hung up and I have yet to receive a call back. Also, I'm in Ontario

Put in your postal code here:

https://www.nissan.ca/dealer-locator.html

In the filters, enable the LEAF checkbox. Call up another Nissan dealership near you and ask if they have a LEAF certified mechanic who can assist with a warranty covered repair.

My charging cable started jamming when plugging in to my car. Now it just won’t connect. I looked inside the gun nozzle and noticed a white plastic bushing that has become smashed and is getting in the way.
Poor design. And you need a special shaped screwdriver to open up the gun.

Back