2018 LEAF Sudden acceleration problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster42

My 2018 LEAF has a disturbing issue and my dealer can't figure out the problem.

Occasionally, when I am driving fast (60mph) and then take my foot off the accelerator to slow down (in ECO mode), the moment I touch the brake the car will accelerate at full power. If push down hard on the brake, it will stop the acceleration, but not before I've lurched forward.

It only happens about once a week, but it is scary and I am now forced to slow down much sooner than I need to just in case it accelerates when I hit the brake. The dealership in my town is pretty useless and they could not find any problem.

Does anyone one else have this issue? I would like to take it up with Nissan directly, but I would have more luck getting their attention if it happened to more than one vehicle.

Choice #1: OP is trolling
Choice #2: OP wants his car declared a lemon
Choice #3: See choice #1

Only thought is if you have cruise control on and going below the limit set. When taking foot off of accelerator about 1/2 second later the throttle will hit, but you might think it was due to foot touching the brake.

Have experienced a similar sensation with my 2013 on uneven, bumpy roads. Try disabling the traction control for awhile and see if it still happens.

alozzy said:
Have experienced a similar sensation with my 2013 on uneven, bumpy roads. Try disabling the traction control for awhile and see if it still happens.

The ABS 'float' doesn't feel like full power is being applied, and the car doesn't accelerate.

It's definitely not ABS and the acceleration is stronger than reengaging the cruise control. The dealer thought it could be something with the cc reengaging, so I've tested be manually resuming the cc after slowing down and it is not the same feeling.

I'm going to drive it a week with ECO off to see if it still happens. Or I could just drive with e-pedal....

A thought.
Down hill, Bumpy road (it doesn’t take much), Regen will cut out giving the sensation of acceleration. More brake pressure needed.
All of my Leafs have done this, see sig for history. This might not be it but thought I’d mention it.
Greg

I was driving normal 2018 leaf and I have to stop my vehicle when other vehicle was entering in front of my car in my lane. I have to press brake very quick and my car seems like died and did not want to move. It was jerky when I press gas Paddle and no power at all means very very little to move in jerky motion. I have shut off my car and wait and it a very little better but not much. I have to consult Nissan dealer. I have no idea what had happened.

I was turning into a small hiking parking lot when my 2015 shot forward at lightening speed. I applied total pressure on the brakes to no avail. I had nowhere to go and plowed into a large parked vehicle, pushing it over the hill and down a ditch. The airbags were deployed for both myself and passenger, and fortunately, no one seriously injured. Very traumatic! I was not in ECO mode and was travelling at a very low speed before this occurred. We have had unusually cold temperatures prior to this incident. What if I had been on a busy street or highway?
I've reported to Nissan and to Nat'l Transport Agency. Is there any recourse?
Maggie

Applying the brake pedal normally cuts the power delivery to the motor, so you'd have to find a defect in that area. I had the accelerator pedal get caught under the floor mat in my 2013, and all I had to do was repeatedly press the brake pedal to control it. It was frightening, but the car could still be slowed or stopped.

Back