Fuse problem? 2015 Leaf won't start until fuse box(es) pushed and twisted around.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldallan

Three times in the past month, my 2015 Leaf has been very hard to start.
  1. I don't hear the familiar "bell chimes" that indicate the Leaf is "ready to go"
  2. All (or almost all) of the dash lights come on and stay on
  3. The brake pedal seems "soft". I open the hood and check, but the brake fluid reservoir seems fine.
  4. I stop the car, and re-attempt to start the vehicle several times. Same problem ... won't start.
  5. I open up the fuse box, and press on the fuses. I also (carefully) twist and push on other electrical wiring housings.
  6. Car starts. Whew.
Before taking the Leaf to the Nissan dealer, I thought I'd check to get suggestions on whether there is a likely D.I.Y. fix.

Anyone else experience this?
Thanks.

Have you measured the voltage of the 12 volt battery after the car has sat overnight or is in this bad state?

I suspect you have a low or bad 12 volt battery and whatever you're doing is disconnecting/interrupting power on the 12 volt bus briefly, causing some system to reset.

So is it still using the original OEM aux battery? That would be at least 5 years old, which is quite good for a laef. If so then time for a replacement.

The pressure and twisting on the fuse block may have jostled the relays enough to allow them to close with a reduced aux voltage.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had the battery checked two separate times. The first result was "maybe ok, but needs charging before test is valid".

Several days later, I trickle-charged the aux battery for several hours before testing. The result was once again "maybe ok, but needs charging before test is valid".

About 2+ years ago, I was away from the home, and intentionally had the flashers going for several hours. The car was completely dead, and needed to be jump started to get started.

I may try that "flasher test" again within another several weeks. However, I will do that at home within range of my 12v charger and Level-1 charger.

Latest posts

Back