Front Wheels Binding for No Reason While Driving, Scary

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanDiegoLife

I just bought a 2011 Leaf that only has 20 mile range. I work only 5 miles away so I am hoping to get a few years out of this before fixing or replacing.
I test drive it just fine.
Using a tow dolly, I towed the car home putting the front wheels up on the dolly. It was in nuetral for the tow and eBrake off.
Now that it is home, when I first get in and start driving there is a growling sound from the front and the font wheels bind up and stop the car. I have not touched the brakes. I am using the accelerator and trying to move forward and the wheels will bind up then release then bind over and over randomly. This only happens for the first mile or two, then stops and I can drive freely. It is pretty scary, if I'm moving fast the front wheels will screech and the car throws everyone forward as it is suddenly stopping.
I have been searching the internet for similar issues but have not seen any. It seems like the RegGen feature is out of its mind and is trying to regenerate battery power at random times with full force. I pulled the front wheels off to see if something is rubbing or grinding and I don't see anything obvious.

Connect to the data port with Leaf Spy Pro app on cell phone.
Post any error codes that come up.

Please check that all 4 tires are the same size, same type, and properly inflated (I recommend 44 psi if that does not exceed tire rating shown on sidewall). The ABS and/or stability control can do bad things if the wheels are not all turning at the same speed. As the previous reply said, get LEAF Spy Pro along with a suitable OBDII interface and post error codes. Also, check condition of the 12V battery because low voltage can cause issues.

GerryAZ said:
Please check that all 4 tires are the same size, same type, and properly inflated (I recommend 44 psi if that does not exceed tire rating shown on sidewall). The ABS and/or stability control can do bad things if the wheels are not all turning at the same speed. As the previous reply said, get LEAF Spy Pro along with a suitable OBDII interface and post error codes. Also, check condition of the 12V battery because low voltage can cause issues.

+1. Due to damage I had to replace 2 tires on our 2012, and the difference in diameter between front and rear caused some bad behaviors from the traction/stability control.

It sounds like the "master" cylinder of the brakes is stuck and binding and not backing off. The brake system actually uses an electric motor driven actuator that "presses" the brakes for you. [That is the clunking noise you heard up front]. You had to press the brake pedal to start the car, then the e-brake motor was driven to the front stops. As you drive the road vibration is helping to relax the motor back to its home position. An old, weak, or worn out 12V aux battery is a prime culprit for this to occur. Put it on an external 12V charger and see if that helps. a new 12V may be in your future.

Thank you!
My 12 volt battery is old and getting corroded. I will order a new battery asap.
I never would have thought about the tires being different sizes but yes, I have put the same air pressure in all of them and it seems to be working fine now. I thought this was going to be a very expensive problem. This is a great resource. You all are awesome.

Back