Plug in, beep, clunk, but no charge lights.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatguyaz

Hi all, new member here, i appreciate whatever help i might get! I have a 2015 Leaf with only about 40k miles on it. So, last week i got home and plugged in the car to my level 2 charger like normal. It beeped, then i hear the 'clunk' but then the 3 charge lights on the dash never came on and it didn't charge all night. In the morning, i came out, unlplugged it, then plugged it back in...Beep, clunk, then the lights came on and it charged like normal. I assumed there was a charge timer on or something, but as i went through the menu, there was no timer set and nothing looked amiss. For the whole last week, it's been charging just fine. Then two days ago, this whole process repeats again. , yesterday, charged like normal, then again last night, same deal. Go out to plug it in this morning to see if it would start charging again and it won't. I have an appt with the dealer on Friday, but i'm out of warranty and am planning on selling the Leaf in the next few weeks. (unrelated to these issues) One of the times i tried plugging it in this morning, it didn't even beep. I fear whatever is wrong is now getting worse. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Check ports on both your EVSE and EV to make sure no bugs/dirt/etc. got swished up in the connector ports, easiest thing to check at least. Should appear to be bright, shiny, aluminum color anyway inside. :?:

Just to totally eliminate the timer I'd try pushing the timer-override button on the dash, the button with a clock icon on it, left side of steering wheel area. Other than that I'd guess your EVSE might be having issues.

Checked both the plug into the 50 amp recep, as well as the charger plug itself. All look normal. I keep the charger plugged into a weather proof dock, so i don't have too many issues with dirt/debris, etc. I have made sure the timer override is pushed as well. I ran some errands just now and came back and tried it again and it started charging normally, again. I kind of wish it just stopped working completely, so there was a definitive answer to this, other than this back and forth randomly working or not working.

One person, with a sporadic problem, reported it was caused by a cracked proximity wire in the J1772 plug. Maybe that or the pilot wre?

91040 said:
One person, with a sporadic problem, reported it was caused by a cracked proximity wire in the J1772 plug. Maybe that or the pilot wre?
Both of which would be cured by a different EVSE. Personally if you plan on selling it, I'd just purchase a cheap(<$200) replacement EVSE off Amazon or used of Ebay or CL and call it good. Cheaper than having anyone diagnose it, assuming it's the EVSE. If you knew someone with an EVSE the easiest would be to try theirs, if it works reliably it's the EVSE.

MikeinPA said:
I'd just purchase a cheap(<$200) replacement EVSE off Amazon or used of Ebay or CL and call it good.

or try the L1 charger that came with the car?
Good catch, OP do you still have the OEM EVSE that came with the car? If that works then it's got to be your L2 EVSE, if not then it might cost you something.

Back