Power loss on 2012 model (20-25 kW max. power)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjalabais

On Saturday, I noticed a sudden power loss on my 2012 Leaf. On the way out, I could get the full 80 kW, on the way home, maximum power was 20-25 kW - in D-mode. Restarted the car to no avail. This morning, I didn't make it to the office, as the car wouldn't go up our steep and long driveway.

There are no error messages in the displays. On Saturday, I couldn't set a speed on the cruise control, instead, the "SET" message was just blinking. This is the only indicator of something wrong apart from the actual error.

My OBD dongle is unreliable and I have thus far not been able to connect with Leafspy. Tomorrow morning, I will call for towing assistance.

Any idea what this error could be? From googling it, I struggle to find any similar cases. Most issues with some resemblance are about battery cell failure, but then with more specific warnings.

Sjalabais said:
My OBD dongle is unreliable and I have thus far not been able to connect with Leafspy. Tomorrow morning, I will call for towing assistance.
What model of dongle do you have? What phone and phone OS?

What is the age, condition and voltage of the 12V starter battery? An old, weak or worn out 12V aux battery can cause a multitude of issues in an electric car.

The battery sends out a LB_Discharge_Power_Limit message. This contains in kW the amount of battery that the BMS has decided that the battery can allow for. In case some restriction is on, this will be signaled in the LB_Output_Power_Limit_Reason. The different reasons are;

000 = Normal
001 = Capacity Drop
010 = LBC Malfunction
011 = High Temperature
100 = Low Temperature
101 = reserved
110 = reserved
111 = reserved

If some of these conditions are ON, then the turtle icon should also illuminate. I have never gotten a vehicle to reduce power due to any of these, but your mileage may vary. It would be great to get a CAN-log from your EV-CAN bus to see if this is the case.

OR this is just due to bad 12V battery, and it can be magically resolved by installing a fresh one. LEAFs are funny like that :)

Back