black plastic molding on top of hood coming up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malloryk

29bdjxy.jpg

Is anyone having this problem? I noticed it Wed. night when I was briefly on the freeway (same day that I got the upgrade done). It's lifting up at high speed when the wind catches under it (you can see my finger there getting underneath that section that should be secured down). The left side seems to be ok. They won't have their Leaf guy in at Santa Monica Nissan until Tues. to look at it. I'm a bit concerned as I need to be on the freeway for about 40 miles roundtrip this Sunday.

malloryk said:
29bdjxy.jpg

Is anyone having this problem? I noticed it Wed. night when I was briefly on the freeway (same day that I got the upgrade done). It's lifting up at high speed when the wind catches under it (you can see my finger there getting underneath that section that should be secured down). The left side seems to be ok. They won't have their Leaf guy in at Santa Monica Nissan until Tues. to look at it. I'm a bit concerned as I need to be on the freeway for about 40 miles roundtrip this Sunday.

It's held on by nuts, which are visible if you open the hood. I suspect that one has worked loose. I'll bet if you take a small wrench to the offender, the problem will be sorted without professional help.

Edit: Oops. Make that nuts.

Edit 2:

nut.jpg

mwalsh said:
malloryk said:
ah thanks, Mike. I'll run over to Lowes and get some matching nuts. Although duct tape isn't a bad idea either.... ;)

You mean it's come so loose that the nut is gone altogether on that side?

oh not sure, haven't looked at the other side yet. I'll go look it over when I can get away from work today.

mwalsh said:
You mean it's come so loose that the nut is gone altogether on that side?

How do you think she got her car so fast? That baby was whizzing along the production line faster than a roadrunner.

I looked under there and it doesn't look like that nut is connected to where it's coming up. And I can't get to the spot where it is. So maybe I will hold it down with some duct tape until Tues...

Fontana is replacing mine since the passenger's side was scuffed for about 3 inches long and an inche wide at the very end near the pillar. The paint right next too it is flawless so it pretty much had to have happened in assembly. There is also some sealant that is supposed to seal it up and hold it down per the Service Manual so perhaps yours was not assembled quite right...

malloryk said:
I looked under there and it doesn't look like that nut is connected to where it's coming up. And I can't get to the spot where it is. So maybe I will hold it down with some duct tape until Tues...

mogur said:
Fontana is replacing mine since the passenger's side was scuffed for about 3 inches long and an inche wide at the very end near the pillar. The paint right next too it is flawless so it pretty much had to have happened in assembly. There is also some sealant that is supposed to seal it up and hold it down per the Service Manual so perhaps yours was not assembled quite right...

that's what I'm thinking too. Glad to hear that Fontana is taking care of you. If I were closer, I'd go to them for service.

I have a spot on the passsenger side I pushed down and hear a clicking/locking sound must be a 2 part held with some clips or something. If it come up again I will be going to the dealer as well.

Gonewild said:
I have a spot on the passsenger side I pushed down and hear a clicking/locking sound must be a 2 part held with some clips or something. If it come up again I will be going to the dealer as well.

I just did that and heard the same sound. I'm hoping it stays in place on the freeway today!

Back