Flat tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redleaf2

Easter noon at the grocery store and we have a disabled Red Leaf 2. No spare (as most of you know). No jack either. Cute little air pump with the hidden button does a respectable job of producing a hissing sound from a hole in the sidewall. Now what Leaf Lovers?

Go get the Suzuki SX4 and your floor jack. Use the Suzuki scissors jack to get the Leaf high enough to get the
floor jack under it. The lower rocker panel pinch weld looks like its marked for that. Use a foot hop on the end of the stubby lug wrench to brake loose the lug nuts and remove tire/wheel.

See if the Suzuki temporary spare will fit. It kind of does, good enough to drive it slowly home to it's garage.

You Leafers might want to find out in advance how far away the nearest replacement tire is.

I would be shocked to hear that all of them are not riding on Bridgestone Ecopia 422. 205/55 R16.

RedLeaf 2 773 Issaquah, WA

Since I don't have SX4, nor a spare tire that fits I guess my backup plan would be using towing service. Is there a spare tire that we can buy for emergencies that actually fits?

I ordered an exact-same tire from Costco for $71 - they were having a sale - to keep as a spare since they are hard to find in stock. Later, I may find a suitable cheap wheel and have it mounted... (Perhaps someone who goes to aftermarket wheels might like to sell us each one <grin>...)

Costco Issaquah will order a replacement tire for $106. Mogor says they are only $61 in California. Somethings not right there.

Put 1 mm thick washers over each lug nut stud and the Suzuki Temp spare no longer scrapes the brake caliper.

Working on temp spare interchanges. I also have a second tire that has gone flat. Cute little air pump made it round again, for now.

RedLeaf2 Issaquah, WA

Rather than discard your sidewall damaged nearly new tire, would it be reasonable to suggest mounting that tire using an inner tube? Because of the extra weight, you might prefer to mount it on an inexpensive spare rim kept at home (to use only if you get another flat...)

Redleaf2 said:
Costco Issaquah will order a replacement tire for $106. Mogor says they are only $61 in California. Somethings not right there.

Put 1 mm thick washers over each lug nut stud and the Suzuki Temp spare no longer scrapes the brake caliper.

Working on temp spare interchanges. I also have a second tire that has gone flat. Cute little air pump made it round again, for now.

RedLeaf2 Issaquah, WA

Two tires? Sounds like to me you have more of a vandalism problem than bad luck. Nothing provokes envy more than rising gas prices.

Bud said:
Two tires? Sounds like to me you have more of a vandalism problem than bad luck. Nothing provokes envy more than rising gas prices.
I was thinking the same thing. One flat tire happens, but 2nd...

IBELEAF said:
Bud said:
Does Red Leaf 2 have any controversial bumper stickers on it?

HIOJim said:
IBELEAF said:
Bud said:
Does Red Leaf 2 have any controversial bumper stickers on it?

it IS a controversial bumper sticker.

IBELEAF said:
Bud said:

Perhaps you have a neighbor who recently reshingled his roof? We lost 2 this way.

Any suggestion on a lightweight wheel that would fit, hopefully without the washers, and a lightweight tire that would "work" reasonably well to get to a suitable repair/tire shop?

Is the tire on sale at Costco an exact replacement with the current tires?
How much at Costco in CA?

Suggestions for a jack that would stow and work well on the LEAF?

Only $580 plus shipping and installation. :shock:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+RFT&partnum=055VR6CP7RFT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Redleaf2 said:
Cute little air pump with the hidden button does a respectable job of producing a hissing sound from a hole in the sidewall.
Sidewall?

Tire defect? Road hazard? or operator error?

I would use the tow service to the nearest Goodyear store :D

I can't see worring about a spare until the tow service expires.

Clippy said:
They are run flats.
My beef, historically, with run flats is that they get you 50 miles closer to a tow truck (with a conventional vehicle). As the LEAF, and most EVs for some time, is really an in-town car, run flats probably make sense.

Two caveats with run flats - rolling resistance will likely be increased, reducing potential driving range. Also, sidewall stiffness is greatly increased (if there is no air in the tire, the sidewall has to hold the car up) resulting in generally harsher ride quality.

Back