iPhone climate control turns on charger too

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmarilloLeaf

I typically charge with the Leaf timer to 80%. (Yes, I purchased, rather than leased.)

I've found that if I activate my climate control from the iPhone app, it also starts charging above 80%.

Is that the desired operation here? I'm happy if it draws house power for the climate control, but why is it charging too?

Perhaps the app should ask "turn climate control and charger on" instead of "turn climate control on".

Is this only with the Updated software, or the pre-update software also?

Might the "Teakettle Syndrome" be connected with this?

Might charging turn on something associated with Climate Control
that could heat the Heater Coolant?

AmarilloLeaf said:
I've found that if I activate my climate control from the iPhone app, it also starts charging above 80%.

Is that the desired operation here?
Whether or not it is "desired", it sounds like it is working as it is supposed to. Because you can only charge to 80% via the timer, anything done outside the timer will do a full charge. I am really surprised that Nissan tied the 80% charging to the timer instead of making it its own setting, so that whenever you plugged in (timer or not) it would only charge to 80%.

AmarilloLeaf said:
I typically charge with the Leaf timer to 80%. (Yes, I purchased, rather than leased.)

Is that the desired operation here? I'm happy if it draws house power for the climate control, but why is it charging too?

Perhaps the app should ask "turn climate control and charger on" instead of "turn climate control on".

Are you saying it keeps charging continuously even after the climate control goes off? if not then this makes sense and is correct. IF the car is plugged in and you do remote climate control the charger will start to offset the load otherwise it will use the pack and lower your SOC. That is the entire point of having it plugged in and since the climate control is on a short time it is irrelevant. If the climate control goes off an charging continues that is not correct. Charging is NEEDED to run climate control if you don't want to deplete the pack, it can't run directly off the wall power.

I noticed this a while back. I pre-cooled for an hour one day to see if my car was subject to the non-starting problem, and my SOC went from my normal 80% to 100%. When the A/C is on, it doesn't draw anywhere near the power that the charger provides, and the rest goes into the battery. Has nothing to do with iPhone. I don't know what would happen if you start at 100% SOC; obviously the battery can't soak up any more charge.

The only workaround I know of is to limit the amount of time that you pre-cool. I've never noticed it when pre-heating, either because the heater uses all 3.3 kW, or because I keep the pre-heat cycle pretty short.

-Karl

The charger certainly should follow the load. But I'm saying that it does not do that when you precool. Just like the OP, I started out at 80% and wound up close to 100%, just by precooling. I used either an Android smartphone or my PC to turn on precool.

My car is #257, running original firmware. I always charge to 80%. I used preheat for a couple of months, precooled just once to see if my car would restart afterward. It did, but the battery was full.

Have you tried it?

-Karl

kolmstead said:
When the A/C is on, it doesn't draw anywhere near the power that the charger provides, and the rest goes into the battery.
How much does it draw when using cooling ?

Heating can use upto 5 KW i.e. more than what charger can provide.

kolmstead said:
The charger certainly should follow the load. But I'm saying that it does not do that when you precool. Just like the OP, I started out at 80% and wound up close to 100%, just by precooling. I used either an Android smartphone or my PC to turn on precool.

My car is #257, running original firmware. I always charge to 80%. I used preheat for a couple of months, precooled just once to see if my car would restart afterward. It did, but the battery was full.

Have you tried it?
This really doesn't sound right. So you charge to 80%, run the climate control for 25-30 minutes, and then you're at 100% SOC? The car would have to draw more than 5 KW in 30 minutes in order to accomplish this feat, something I'm pretty sure it isn't capable of...

Back