Low Pitched Hum When Turn Car On After Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

Just took delivery of my Leaf, drove 65 miles, then plugged into AV EVSE to charge up for tomorrow. Charged from 5 bars to 10 bars, then disconnected EVSE. When I turned the car on, I heard a low pitched hum that I didn't notice before. Hum disappears when I turned the car off, came back when I turned it on again. I saw the thread on a hum while charging, and figure this may be the same (normal) behavior. However, since I hear this noise just AFTER I stopped charging, I wanted to check to see if this is normal.

The cooling pump will sometimes run for a while after you stop charging and that is likely what you heard.

Stoaty said:
Just took delivery of my Leaf, drove 65 miles, then plugged into AV EVSE to charge up for tomorrow. Charged from 5 bars to 10 bars, then disconnected EVSE. When I turned the car on, I heard a low pitched hum that I didn't notice before. Hum disappears when I turned the car off, came back when I turned it on again. I saw the thread on a hum while charging, and figure this may be the same (normal) behavior. However, since I hear this noise just AFTER I stopped charging, I wanted to check to see if this is normal.

Occasionally, in the morning, long after charging is complete, I disconnect the e-fuel nozzle and get in the car to leave. I "press" the car on, and I get noise (sounds like a "loud" whiring, perhaps like the fan(s), not the quiet hum of the cooling pump during charging) for a short while, probably less than a minute.

It might happen only after 80% charging, since I never heard the noise during the first month or so when I was only charging to 100%.

mogur said:
The cooling pump will sometimes run for a while after you stop charging and that is likely what you heard.
Thanks. That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure my new baby is getting plenty of TLC. I assume that when I go out in the morning the sound won't be there, since the cooling will have taken place by itself overnight. That would confirm this is normal behavior.

Back