cyellen
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0613

Re: New Leaf lasts 2 days before crashing

Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:25 pm

This is the first time I've ever had a 'button' for 'ignition' or a BEV. I have had absolutely no problem knowing whether the car is 'off', 'ACC mode', or 'On'. There are plenty of visual clues. I don't understand how anyone would need more. The easiest way for me to tell from ACC or On is the green car in the middle of the bottom display with the arrow underneath which ONLY means it is On and ready to drive. If all the dash lights are on and that little green car is absent, then I know it is in ACC mode. It goes completely dark/black when it is OFF. Unless someone is blind (they shouldn't be driving), you just can't miss these.
Thank you...totally agree. I do think that a failsafe is a good idea...but really - I think we can all learn to turn the thing off when we are done using it. Let's not start complaining about one the best features - that the car is silent.
Glacier White SL-EV delivered 3/23/2011 in Phoenix, AZ
VIN: 000613
EVProject Participant: Blink installed 3/21/2011

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm

LEAFfan wrote:This is the first time I've ever had a 'button' for 'ignition' or a BEV. I have had absolutely no problem knowing whether the car is 'off', 'ACC mode', or 'On'. There are plenty of visual clues. I don't understand how anyone would need more. The easiest way for me to tell from ACC or On is the green car in the middle of the bottom display with the arrow underneath which ONLY means it is On and ready to drive. If all the dash lights are on and that little green car is absent, then I know it is in ACC mode. It goes completely dark/black when it is OFF. Unless someone is blind (they shouldn't be driving), you just can't miss these.
Sorry, but you've got that wrong. According to the owner's manual there are five different power states, and you are misusing their names. READY is what you are calling ON, when the green car is there. ON is what you are calling ACC, when the dash is lit up and there is no green car. Just semantics? Hardly. Because there is an ACC mode and the dash is not lit up at all. There is also an OFF state and a LOCK state, but don't ask me the subtleties of the distinctions between those two. What matters, though, is that ACC has a blank dash, and can drain the battery.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

JimSouCal

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:43 pm

planet4ever wrote:What matters, though, is that ACC has a blank dash, and can drain the battery
In the ACC state, the power button is lit? I seem to have observed this when I was cycling the button when not moving and my foot was off the brake?

planet4ever

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Yes, it is, but isn't that button also lit when you first unlock the car and get in?

Ray

RuneW
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2011

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:24 pm

LEAFfan wrote:This is the first time I've ever had a 'button' for 'ignition' or a BEV. I have had absolutely no problem knowing whether the car is 'off', 'ACC mode', or 'On'. There are plenty of visual clues. I don't understand how anyone would need more.
planet4ever wrote:Sorry, but you've got that wrong. According to the owner's manual there are five different power states, and you are misusing their names. READY is what you are calling ON, when the green car is there. ON is what you are calling ACC, when the dash is lit up and there is no green car. Just semantics? Hardly. Because there is an ACC mode and the dash is not lit up at all. There is also an OFF state and a LOCK state, but don't ask me the subtleties of the distinctions between those two. What matters, though, is that ACC has a blank dash, and can drain the battery.

Ray
@LEAFfan: Apparently you need some more clues yourself. And maybe a hint of empathy as well...

EVDRIVER

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 am

Some people on this forum would benefit from reading the owners manual before posting about how the car has an issue, the pack died for no reason, the brakes have failed once for a few seconds, etc, etc. Most issues turn out to be user error because they don't know how the car works not because the car has a real issue, the rumor and speculation seems to make it worse, logic helps. Those that walk away form the car when it is on and hear the car beep and then wonder why the lights are on when they return may want to pay a bit more attention.

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:01 am

EVDRIVER wrote:Some people on this forum would benefit from reading the owners manual before posting about how the car has an issue, the pack died for no reason, the brakes have failed once for a few seconds, etc, etc. Most issues turn out to be user error because they don't know how the car works not because the car has a real issue, the rumor and speculation seems to make it worse, logic helps. Those that walk away form the car when it is on and hear the car beep and then wonder why the lights are on when they return may want to pay a bit more attention.
BRAVO!, EVDRIVER; I couldn't have said it better myself. It's actually sort of funny how some are reporting "beeps" "clanks" "clunks" "thumps" "flashing lights" etc, etc, on this vehicle. Knowledge is power. Study the manuals before you report a "malfunction". :idea:
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

EVDRIVER

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 am

A very tech savvy friend was convinced ECO mode made the pedal harder to push (electrically), I could not convince him otherwise for some time until he finally realized it was due to the fact he was pushing the pedal farther than normal and there was a different angle on his foot and more resistance at that angle but no computer was creating resistance. I can't ell you how many people are convinced their Nissan EVSE is bad until they are forced to read in the manual about ungrounded outlets.

planet4ever

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes, I do believe in reading manuals, but I'm sorry, a five-state power button with no direct indication of which state you are in, and a complicated set of rules for transitions between states is a design usability problem, no matter how clearly it is spelled out in the manual. (And I don't think it is spelled out all that clearly, either.)

Now, people who are into video games may look at this as just one more tricky challenge to learn how to maneuver through, but driving a car should not be as puzzling or challenging as video games.

Ray

JimSouCal

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm

planet4ever wrote:Yes, I do believe in reading manuals...
For me it is reading the manual and then something happens--and then reading the manual again. The problem with the manual is it is a giant mix of the most obvious with tiny excerpts of the most arcane. I have taken to using page markers for that that seems to be less obvious yet useful, like steps to program the homelink, and shutting off the infernal honk sound when locking up.

I agree that there are some key annunciators and buttons that one really should get to know. For the most part, I find the work on the car clever, maybe at times too clever, yet the more one learns, the easier it gets. Mastering the finer points of timers and charging are the next level... And I do look at the LEVEL 3 port and wonder what it is good for, and why I need a power wart brick rather than an AC pigtail.... That is when it is light out and I can see what I am doing in there... I digress...

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”