TonyWilliams

Re: Charging - SOC level differs based on prev. discharge

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 pm

ILETRIC wrote: Since I was running out of juice last night, I did the pedal -- ease up, push a little, ease up - you know, a little charging up. I don't think it helped at all. Barely made it up the hill.
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. Please describe what this means.

If you're speeding up on level ground, and then slowing down on level ground to regenerate, that is NOT saving power. You would be wasting power.

If you're slowing down going up a hill, and letting the car coast down the hill to regenerate, that's good.
So, freeway - we're talking 70 miles max at 66 mph. Am I correct? Is that all it can do?
Yes, that's about right. Check out the "Range Estimate" link in my signature.

ILETRIC
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Yeah, I looked at that very well made chart linked in this thread. Now I see the real numbers. So I'm absolutely on target with the miles vs. the speed. And my battery is on target, no dead cells. That's a relief. I was wondering...

I trickle charged with 11 bars this a.m. and arrived with 50 smileys at work today which is very nice. Have to do only 2 hrs of charging to bring it up to 60 to make it home with 4-6 miles remaining and one bar. I think the battery likes it too.

I tell you this: wet weather and wipers really kills the range probably more than heat (my estimate). I need to be congnizant of that for my future driving.

I am hoping that in 4-5 years' time I'll be swapping this first gen battery for a double density product (German Kolibri anyone?) and this whole issue will resolve itself. And I am looking forward to Ford EV this fall. Separate radio, folks! Swap for the real thing with a separate amp. Plus cruise control in the 4 o'clock position. And regular analog dials. I mean, who needs those silly trees (max one tree for me) in the speed dial real estate. So Japaneezy. They don't understand our mentality at all. Trust me on this one. I have close contact with Japanese business people. It's a difficult task for them to hit it just right with us.

Love the car though. Saving money and environment. Don't care about the cool factor. Environment. No more burning, no oil changing, easy like a magic carpet. Plus POWER!
------------------------------------------------
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

Traded-in on 10-19-2014 at 56,150 miles
-------------> for Kia Soul EV+ <-------------

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:13 pm

JRP3 wrote:Extreme heat kills lead acid cells, as does extreme cold.
Extreme cold does NOT kill lead-acid car batteries. I agree though that high heat does, like here in AZ, but I've had batteries last 7 years in below zero whether where I used to live. I've never had a battery fail because of the extreme cold. All the extreme cold does is reduce your cold cranking amps and makes the car harder to start.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

JRP3
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 pm

LEAFfan wrote: All the extreme cold does is reduce your cold cranking amps and makes the car harder to start.
Right, which means the battery has to work harder, discharge more deeply, and can lead to early death. I've had more batteries die in the winter than in the summer.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Seriously, the wipers pull VERY little overall... You can barely measure the difference in range with them on.

Rain on the road and in the air, however, will increase drag some, though I haven't seen any concrete numbers as to how much...
When I was driving in the rain many days this winter, I did not see an appreciable difference in range...
ILETRIC wrote:Wet weather and wipers really kills the range probably more than heat (my estimate).
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:29 pm

JRP3 wrote:
LEAFfan wrote: All the extreme cold does is reduce your cold cranking amps and makes the car harder to start.
Right, which means the battery has to work harder, discharge more deeply, and can lead to early death. I've had more batteries die in the winter than in the summer.
Like I said, I lived in a cold winter state for many years, and never had any trouble making my batteries last. Just because it lowers the amps, doesn't mean it destroys the battery. After the temps rise, it was always as good as new. I always had a digital volt meter to keep watch and keep it in top shape. Here, I haven't had one last 3 years.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

TonyWilliams

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Lead acid batteries will freeze in cold if not charged. The freezing will break the plastic case and spill acid all over the place when it thaws.

JRP3
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:25 am

LEAFfan wrote: Here, I haven't had one last 3 years.
Have you tried a really good AGM such as an Enersys Odyssey, or the Sears Platinum, (Sears' version of the Odyssey)?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”