80% charging issue - 12:00 am charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

I've had this issue for sometime now and I am not sure what to make out of it. I have a timer1 set to charge 80% from 12:00 am to 12:00 am. So my car gets charged to 80% usually by 10 pm and then at midnight charging starts again for 20 seconds and then stops. Below is my email log. I've recently reset Leaf settings by unplugging battery, but that seemed to have no effect. Anyone else experienced similar issue?

Charging is done by BLINK unit, but it doesn't appear like BLINK is culprit here.

statusph.jpg

Here's what I think is going on. You plug in normally around 7pm to 8pm, and charging starts. Charging finishes normally around 10pm. Then 12 midnight comes and it's a timer event: start charging. The car starts charging, quickly determines it has reached 80%, and stops charging. I don't think it does any harm and you could just ignore it. You could check with your dealer and/or Nissan customer service for reassurance that you're not harming the car, and then just ignore or filter out the extra Blink email.

Or one way I think you could avoid the extra zero length charging events is to set your timer as 9pm to 9pm instead of midnight to midnight. I expect what would then happen is you'd start charging at 7pm. At 9pm the car would decide to start charging again, but notice it's already charging and just continue. At 10pm it would finish charging.

Another way that might do it is to set your timer to start at 00:20 and end at 00:10, i.e. charge any time except for 10 minutes after midnight until 20 minutes after midnight. If the 9pm timer setting didn't do the job then this might be worth a try.

The suggestions will allow you to experiment with getting slightly different "Stopped" messages.

Setting the Start-Stop break to a time when you are not likely to have the car plugged in ... like 11:30 AM, generally eliminates the extra message.

garygid said:
Setting the Start-Stop break to a time when you are not likely to have the car plugged in ... like 11:30 AM, generally eliminates the extra message.

I think this is the better suggestion, and the scenario I'm going to start off with (I want to do 80% charging daily). Of course, if you're charging your car at work (during the day), then you might want to flip the start/stop time to PM.

Ok, so how do you guys do it, if you just want 80% charge ability available throughout the day?

Would 12am - 11:59pm do the trick?

shoot me, if I remember wrong, but I wrestled with this all weekend.
I was only able to set the charger to 10-minute intervals; there is no 11:59, only 11:50 or 12.

I set 12:10 am start and 12 am end for both weekend days.

I was advised that I could set 8 am and 8 am, and get the 24-hour result, but I stuck with what had worked and is working.
The downside is that I got startled at midnight Saturday when, we came back from some revelry and I plugged in at 1130 p.m., and the charger sent me an email saying the charging has stopped.
I went outside to see what was wrong with the car or the Blink. It was nothing.
I will learn to ignore it.

I've set ours to go off charge at 5:50AM and to go on charge at 6:00AM. This seems to work fine and the probability that this will ever interrupt a charging cycle is nil.

I have set mine to 3:00 am start and 2:50 am end and that made no difference, same thing happened at 3:00 am. So am I really again the only one with the issue like this?

IBELEAF said:
I have set mine to 3:00 am start and 2:50 am end and that made no difference, same thing happened at 3:00 am. So am I really again the only one with the issue like this?
No. Everyone understands the problem, and the answer is to pick a time of day when you're least likely to be plugged in for the start/stop time. Maybe the middle of the afternoon? It won't prevent it happening if you're plugged at that time, just make it less likely.

I think walterbays is spot-on:
You plug in normally around 7pm to 8pm, and charging starts. Charging finishes normally around 10pm. Then 12 midnight comes and it's a timer event: start charging. The car starts charging, quickly determines it has reached 80%, and stops charging. I don't think it does any harm and you could just ignore it.
This is just one of the little quirks of this car that you have to live with.

I can turn off the email notification, but it's not the main an issue. What bugs me is that when it does this it puts 0s in the last charge stats in BLINK and I can't see the details of the last charge any longer.

I'm using the AeroVironment charger without a problem. Is there any chance that this has anything to do with the interaction of the car's set charging times and the
Blink charger? Just a thought.

IBELEAF said:
I can turn off the email notification, but it's not the main an issue. What bugs me is that when it does this it puts 0s in the last charge stats in BLINK and I can't see the details of the last charge any longer.
You can still look at the charge history on the Blink web site, even if the details aren't available on the screen anymore. The time stamps may be off by several time zones (eastern time), but the data is there for every charge event if the Blink's internet connection is active.

TT

ERG4ALL said:
I'm using the AeroVironment charger without a problem. Is there any chance that this has anything to do with the interaction of the car's set charging times and the
Blink charger? Just a thought.

Not sure if you mentioned but do you charge to 80%? Also, you would notice the issue when the time reaches your timer start time and you are next to your car or have your notifications enabled.

I don't get email updates from the AeroVironment charger. I would need to use my iPhone to check the status in order to get an email sent to me at my computer. Because I've set the charge off time at 5:50AM and the charge on time at 6:00AM, and the car has already charged to either 80% or 100% by that time, I never encounter a charge session interrupted by the charge timer. We charge to 80% nearly all the time and occasionally charge to 100%.

Ok, sounds like you haven't encountered the issue because you don't have notifications setup. You don't really need iPhone for that, as matter of fact I don't even have one, it's managed via CARWINGS web UI. Also, it doesn't matter what charger you have either.

If you don't mind doing a test that would much appreciated, I would hate to bug dealer again if this is common thing.

The two scenarios that I used:

1. Enable notifications in the web interface (https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/login)
2. Set 80% timer 12:00 am start 11:50pm end (or your preferred times are ok)
3. Plugin your car to charge as normal and make sure it charges to 80% before timer start time
4. You should get notification that your charge stopped with 10 out of 12 bars
5. At 12:00 am you'll get second email that your charge stopped with 10 out of 12 bars

If you don't enable notifications, be next to your car when the time reaches the timer's start time.

Back