Under-car splashguard (front) fell off today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsbca

Well - didn't fall off all the way, rather it came loose and hit the ground. It happened on the freeway. Dealer seems to think it was never properly screwed on (perhaps just held on by sealant of some kind, or just by how it's positioned, but lacking the screws.)

According to both the dealer and Nissan support it's more for splash protection than aerodynamics and we can drive without it for the few days it will take to get a replacement (it got fairly well thrashed by the pavement).

Anyway - just a heads up. I haven't seen it, my wife was driving, so I can't yet comment on how obvious it might or might not be if screws are missing. Ours was one of the first 10 cars - I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is able to detect whether their guard is or is not properly attached.

When I took mine off to do the LED fog lights and horn, three of the screws were missing. I replaced them with ones I had here and didn't give it much thought at the time...

wsbca said:
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is able to detect whether their guard is or is not properly attached.

mogur said:
When I took mine off to do the LED fog lights and horn, three of the screws were missing. I replaced them with ones I had here and didn't give it much thought at the time...

wsbca said:
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is able to detect whether their guard is or is not properly attached.

Are they just sheet metal screws? I suppose ours could have fallen out over the last 6 months, but the consensus at the dealer was that they were never there, maybe they examined the target holes... I guess some loc-tite-ish substance might be called for if in fact they were ever there. I was going to say the car runs so smooth I have a hard time thinking they vibrated out, but then again that panel could get some sort of buffeting from airflow that is harmonic enough to start them wiggling...? I'm not sure which scenario I prefer - that they simply weren't there, or that they come out easily.

wsbca said:
I'm not sure which scenario I prefer - that they simply weren't there, or that they come out easily.

Neither one is good! Makes me wonder what kind of "checks" I should go through when I pick-up mine? Is there a "punch list" somewhere based on current owner's experience?

Back