Automatic headlights sensor too sensitive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

I am not sure if it's due my tint or its by design, but I am finding that leaving headlights in automatic mode will result in lights going on/off unnecessarily. Most of the times it happens in overcast days and especially driving under bridges. I like automatic feature, but I feel like I am annoying drivers in front of me who might think that I am flashing them for no reason. I wonder if Nissan can reduce sensitivity and/or add longer delay.

I run the switch like I have every other car in the past; just turn it to the first "auto" position to get all the lights. I prefer to control when I run my lights anyway.

Now, that I'm paying attention, I realize that a LOT of cars have automatic lights that act this way. I guess I'm not paranoid enough to worry that other drivers are noticing. I certainly prefer this to not having them come on during twilight hours. If it really bugs you, you can always just use the regular on-off selections.

I've noticed it under bridges, but never really on an overcast day. Perhaps your tint is interfering in some way. Is tinting the front window legal where you are? I didn't think it was here is California anyway...

davewill said:
Now, that I'm paying attention, I realize that a LOT of cars have automatic lights that act this way. I guess I'm not paranoid enough to worry that other drivers are noticing. I certainly prefer this to not having them come on during twilight hours. If it really bugs you, you can always just use the regular on-off selections.

P.S. I've only seen it under bridges and in my garage.

We are having unusually gloomy summer in WA, so it happens more often then I want it to. I don't have tint on the windshield just 20% all around.

There is a control in the set up menu for automatic light sensitivity. I have set mine to minimum sensitivity, but I'm not sure that it made any difference. At least that hook is in the software for improvement.
FWIW, My Mini Cooper has the same issue.

I drive with my headlights on all of the time anyway, to help me be noticed by other cars. (Some cars, I think, have it built in that the headlights will be on whenever the engine is running.)

I may want to re-visit that habit when I get my Leaf if I find that it affects my range to the extent of becoming limiting.

Yodrak said:
I may want to re-visit that habit when I get my Leaf if I find that it affects my range to the extent of becoming limiting.
Power consumption by the headlights is negligible unless you are not moving.

As per the service manual, the sensitivity can be changed in three broad groups via the Consult III+. However, and I don't have the manual in front of me to confirm this so I could have it backwards, I believe that the optional groups only increase the sensitivity, not reduce it... Also, again according to the service manual, if the 12 volt battery runs down or the car is rebooted, it reverts back to the factory default group.

IBELEAF said:
I was told that it could be reprogrammed, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Why is lights on a problem? My problem is that lights are not always on.
If I leave the lights in the "on" position, the car should just turn them off when I turn off the car, and not beep angrily at me instead.
Daytime running lights have proven that they save lights in Europe for the last 30 years.
You may not think it, but vehicles with lights on are significantly easier to spot and avoid, even in bright sunlight, than vehicles with lights off.
And it turns out that seeing vehicles easily is an important factor in avoiding accidents.
There's so much data on this that it's beyond any kind of doubt that mandatory DTRL is a large, net-positive savings for society.
DTRL have been voted down in the US because "it would make cars more expensive." (Classic car industry FUD)
Meanwhile, every car must by law have two air bag protected seats (which mainly help if you're not wearing the seatbelt in the first place).
I guess the difference is that DTRL mainly helps *others*, whereas air bags help *you*. IMO, that's an anti-social way to think, which is way too common in the US (and generally a trait of our current political climate, too).

DTRL: It's a free software change, and everyone should just get it by mandate. Save lives, for free!

jwatte said:
If I leave the lights in the "on" position, the car should just turn them off when I turn off the car, and not beep angrily at me instead...
You could probably cover the sensor, and then use auto mode to get the behavior you want.

jwatte said:
If I leave the lights in the "on" position, the car should just turn them off when I turn off the car, and not beep angrily at me instead.
Daytime running lights have proven that they save lights in Europe for the last 30 years.
You may not think it, but vehicles with lights on are significantly easier to spot and avoid, even in bright sunlight, than vehicles with lights off.
And it turns out that seeing vehicles easily is an important factor in avoiding accidents.
There's so much data on this that it's beyond any kind of doubt that mandatory DTRL is a large, net-positive savings for society.
DTRL have been voted down in the US because "it would make cars more expensive." (Classic car industry FUD)
Meanwhile, every car must by law have two air bag protected seats (which mainly help if you're not wearing the seatbelt in the first place).
I guess the difference is that DTRL mainly helps *others*, whereas air bags help *you*. IMO, that's an anti-social way to think, which is way too common in the US (and generally a trait of our current political climate, too).

DTRL: It's a free software change, and everyone should just get it by mandate. Save lives, for free!

My thoughts as well. DId Nissan think any feature through properly on this car?

I admit exterior lights help others quite nicely. However I prefer my interior lights very dim when driving at night. So in my cars, when the Automatic light sensor thinks its night it will not only turn on the exterior lights but significantly dim the dashboard, so much that I sometimes cannot read important items on my dash when it is still bright outside. My Prius has an override to fix this if I want to drive during the day with my lights on, but it is not a simple one-click item as there are separate adjustments for the dash and the touchscreen.

The upshot is that this sensor should be adjustable as everybody has different ways of using it and climates like the Pacific NW have different light thresholds than someplace like southern CA.

Getting back to geography-----

The second largest desert in the US is located in the Great Pacific North West----Eastern Washington and Eastern Orgeon. The sun does shine, often and long. The air and water is clear and clean in the greater part of Washington State which is not located in Western Washington and not along I-5!

A little aside on Clean, Sustainable Hydro Electricity in Washington State:

About 5 years ago, the City Council of Seattle, might have been Bellview, came out with a proclamation supporting the removal of all hydro electric dams in Washington State....since they are all located on the eastern side of the Cascades, it seemed like a good idea as it did not impact them. We, 509er's, on the other hand, thought it was a rather hasty and poorly thought out decision and offered to just shut off the supply of inexpensive hydro electricy from the Chief Joseph and Grand Colee dams. Our offer was made in the sincere spirit of not desiring to cause Western Washington to suffer unduly the pain of the loss of fish habitat in Eastern Washington nor have to financially support the terrible practice of clean, inexpensive, self sustained electricty generation.

The loss of this inexpensive source of electrical power and the cost in dollars and damage to the "environment" to replace it must have struck a nerve. In amazingly short order the city council decieded that they should reconsider and recinded their support of hydro electric dam removal.

But I digress--I love DTRL's.......I force my lights on and do not consider the pitance of charge used a waste in any manner; but then that is just me, a voice, crying out in the desert that is Eastern Washington.

I had mine reprogrammed to lowest sensitivity and today as I was driving at 9am on a freeway they still turned on for a few minutes. No bridges, just overcast day. I guess I'll have to live with it.

thankyouOB said:
what is that light that comes in the overhead area near the sunglass case when the lights are turned on?
I think the consensus was that it is a night light to allow you to find the unlighted buttons in the center console.

Back