Does speed sensing wiper only work on int?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonT

I haven't had a lot of opportunities to use the windshield wipers, but for a while I suspected the "Speed Sensing Wiper Interval" option was not working. However, I played with it a little last night and I believe that the option works when you're on the intermittent speed, but when you are on low or high it does not work.

I am wondering if I have this right. If so, it seems a little odd to me - is this how Nissan (and other cars?) normally do it?

Yes, that is correct; it works on intermittent only. Some higher end systems utilize a rain sensor on the top-center of the windshield as well and work in all modes... My BMW and Acura work this way, for example. The Leaf does not.

JasonT said:
I haven't had a lot of opportunities to use the windshield wipers, but for a while I suspected the "Speed Sensing Wiper Interval" option was not working. However, I played with it a little last night and I believe that the option works when you're on the intermittent speed, but when you are on low or high it does not work. I am wondering if I have this right. If so, it seems a little odd to me - is this how Nissan (and other cars?) normally do it?

Even after a half year of ownership, I still haven't used the rain sensing feature. How is it? Our Lexus hybrid's feature is pretty cool ... speeding up as rain increases, then shutting off completely whan the drizzle level drops to zero.

Lexus uses a "rain sensor" mounted on the windshield.

When the system is in "auto" mode the sensor detects rain drops and controls wiper speed and interval

this is totally different from speed sensitive wipers, I didnt think the Leaf had speed sensitive wipers anyway , does it?

I see no mention of "speed sensitive " wipers anywhere in any niisan documents , quick guides or owners manuals

the Leaf does NOT have rain sensing , or speed sensitive wipers from what I can see.

owners?

The only thing the Leaf does is vary the interval between wipes based on vehicle speed when set to intermittent mode. It does not do any form of rain sensing.

TomT said:
The only thing the Leaf does is vary the interval between wipes based on vehicle speed when set to intermittent mode. It does not do any form of rain sensing.

The UK model does have a rain sensor as standard.

I rarely use my front wipers. We've had very little rain here for the whole year, and haven't used them since I've had the car. I put Dri Car 'N' Wash on the windshield so don't even use them in the rain. It just beads and blows off. I used to fly down the freeway in my old car at 65 in a rain storm without any wipers and people would look at me and wonder how my screen was so clear. It actually worked better than using the wipers.

kmp647 said:
I see no mention of "speed sensitive " wipers anywhere in any niisan documents , quick guides or owners manuals?
Perhaps you don't have the Navigation manual? It's listed in there in Viewing Vehicle Information, page 6-4 in my copy. In the car itself the option is in Settings -> Comfort & Convenience

Sadly, the manual just says "When this item is turned to ON, the wiper interval is adjusted automatically according to the vehicle speed.". So I appreciate the confirmation here that all is working as expected.

LeafTalk said:
TomT said:

Hoy Vey !! So, who made THAT call ... nixing a way cool feature to our entire country. I feel riped off. :lol:

If it's true, then it's likely a cost cutting decision as the Leaf does sell for less here in USA. I would have loved if Nissan had kept the rain sensor in the SL here in America instead of the automatic headlights if they had to choose removing one.

hill said:
LeafTalk said:
TomT said:

Hoy Vey !! So, who made THAT call ... nixing a way cool feature to our entire country. I feel riped off. :lol:

Yes but we didn't get the tyre (tire) pressure sensors so i guess it balances out in the end. ;)

waitingforaleaf said:
If it's true.

It certainly is.

http://www.nissan.co.uk/?cid=pselectricvehicleUK_enelectricvehiclelocuk&kw=Nissan_leaf#vehicles/electric-vehicles/electric-leaf/leaf/pricing-and-specifications/specifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check under the section titled "Interior comfort & convenience"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

waitingforaleaf said:
Except the tire pressure sensors don't actually tell you WHICH tire is low on air...

Hmm.....

Not as useful as I thought they would be. I wonder if they were added just to comply with US motoring legislation.

Agreed! I rarely leave them in Auto anyway since they invariably are going on when I don't want them to be on and off when I want them on.

waitingforaleaf said:
If it's true, then it's likely a cost cutting decision as the Leaf does sell for less here in USA. I would have loved if Nissan had kept the rain sensor in the SL here in America instead of the automatic headlights if they had to choose removing one.

Which is odd because the sensors send the tire pressure to the vehicle and the actual pressures do exist internally in the system, so it would have just been a simple matter of making the actual numbers available on the dash display... Nothing required but a little bit of software coding... I guess they just got lazy, ran out of time, or were really cheap...

waitingforaleaf said:
Except the tire pressure sensors don't actually tell you WHICH tire is low on air...

LeafTalk said:
http://www.nissan.co.uk/?cid=pselectricvehicleUK_enelectricvehiclelocuk&kw=Nissan_leaf#vehicles/electric-vehicles/electric-leaf/leaf/pricing-and-specifications/specifications

Check under the section titled "Interior comfort & convenience"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Automatic headlights with "Follow me home"?
What's that "Follow me home" all about?

Ray

planet4ever said:
What's that "Follow me home" all about?

Ray

The headlights stay illuminated for a set period of time, illuminating a path to your front door (i.e. home or wherever the car may be pointed) and then will turn off automatically.

I've never needed to use the feature so I don't know how well it works.

Back