Trouble parking straight - Am I the only one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

Lately I've been noticing that I seem to have great difficulty parking straight in my LEAF. It seems no matter how hard I try, I'm always crooked in my spot - sometimes grossly so. I've had my LEAF for 7 months now, so it's not an "adjustment period", and I don't recall having this problem in any other car I've owned.

Am I the only one?

I have noticed a bit more trouble than expected parking straight next to a curb, or being too far from the curb. Have had the Leaf 3 months. Guess I haven't adjusted quite yet.

GeekEV said:
I've had my LEAF for 7 months now, so it's not an "adjustment period", and I don't recall having this problem in any other car I've owned.

You sure the problem is your Leaf? hee hee. Just kidding..

JohnnySebring said:
Your backup camera is out of calibration. ;)
I've begun to think I should start backing in so I can use the camera. But I'd really like a front or 360 camera.

jackal said:
You sure the problem is your Leaf? hee hee. Just kidding..
No, I'm not. I could just be getting old. :oops:

No problem with my Leaf. The problem I have is my passengers who think I'm insane for swerving into a parking spot so quickly! :lol: My experience is the Leaf has quite precise steering and I'm very confident in it. :)

johnr said:
No problem with my Leaf. The problem I have is my passengers who think I'm insane for swerving into a parking spot so quickly! :lol: My experience is the Leaf has quite precise steering and I'm very confident in it. :)

I think all cars today have precise steering after say 1970. I think you mean over-responsive steering from too much boost on the EPS ECU. I would say if anything the LEAF has very disconnected and inaccurate steering in this regard.

I notice it's harder to judge distances from the sides - I think its from the restricted vision from inside the LEAF from the roof supports and the 'higher' position of the windows (or lower seating position) compared to other vehicles I have had.

I agree that it is hard to pull in to a diagonal or perpendicular space and get it "perfect". I don't often end up at the wrong angle, but I do end up not being centered in the space. I think I am losing sight of the stripes sooner than in other cars. I am also, after five months, still having a little trouble judging where the front wheels are relative to a curb or concrete stop block.

Backing into a space, or parking parallel, on the other hand are a pure joy! I pooh-poohed the backup camera before I got the car, but I love it now, particularly the predictive curves, which let me slip in reliably a few inches from the curb when parallel parking.

Ray

Back