Why did my car stop charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytre

My family took the car to Exposition Park in Los Angeles tonight, and plugged into the complimentary 220v chargepoint charger, plugging in around 7:20pm. At 7:43, the car sends me a txt indicating that it was done charging. After coming out a couple hours later, we see the car is plugged in, the chargepoint is turned on, but the car is only charged to ~50% - about where it should be for charging 23 minutes.

This is the first time I'd used 220v, I've been using the trickle charger at home and at work. Luckily we had the juice to get home with a few miles to spare, but my confidence is shaken. Any ideas?

bytre said:
My family took the car to Exposition Park in Los Angeles tonight, and plugged into the complimentary 220v chargepoint charger, plugging in around 7:20pm. At 7:43, the car sends me a txt indicating that it was done charging. After coming out a couple hours later, we see the car is plugged in, the chargepoint is turned on, but the car is only charged to ~50% - about where it should be for charging 23 minutes.

This is the first time I'd used 220v, I've been using the trickle charger at home and at work. Luckily we had the juice to get home with a few miles to spare, but my confidence is shaken. Any ideas?
Someone could have come by, unplugged you, and plugged you back in right afterwards, perhaps not realizing that it's bad to do so.
The connection could have been faulty (though the Exposition Park chargers looked fine last time I was there).

Next time if this happens, if you're still plugged in, just tell your car to start charging again.

haykinson said:
Someone could have come by, unplugged you, and plugged you back in right afterwards, perhaps not realizing that it's bad to do so.
If it gets plugged right back in, shouldn't it resume charging again? Unless the latch button got pushed in, and somehow got stuck and didn't release upon the process of putting the J1772 back in.

If the latch button remains stuck in the "pushed in" state somehow, then for sure the Leaf charger wouldn't be drawing current anymore.

One possibility is that someone push the stop charging button on the Charge Point station (if it's equipped with one) and didn't bother pushing the Start charging again.

One other possibility is that if you didn't use the timer override button on the Leaf, maybe your Leaf's timer happened to turn it off at that time.

But Haykinson is right, when in doubt because the stop charging message comes too soon, you can send a command to tell it to charge again to resume. If it's truly full, it'll stop again and you will get another stop charging message. Otherwise, it'll resume charging until it's full.

Volusiano said:
If it gets plugged right back in, shouldn't it resume charging again? Unless the latch button got pushed in, and somehow got stuck and didn't release upon the process of putting the J1772 back in.
If the original poster had used the timer override button to start charging in the beginning, unplugging and replugging won't restart charging -- it'd need another keypress on the override button, or a command from carwings.

I don't use timers, so that wasn't it. I did not notice a "stop charging" button, but I didn't look all that closely.

Are you able to send "start charging" commands via txt to the car?

I would have fired up the forward dash webcam to see whats going on, maybe the rear facing one too just in case.. then I would have sent the wife to plug it back in. If you have a web based external speaker it may come in handy also.

Volusiano said:
haykinson said:
I have found when using the timer override the charging does not restart when disconnected and reconnected.
Timer override button would need to be pushed again or restart through the carwings portal.

smkettner said:
Volusiano said:
haykinson said:
I have found when using the timer override the charging does not restart when disconnected and reconnected.
Timer override button would need to be pushed again or restart through the carwings portal.

that is true.

the iPhone app is also an 80% override switch.

I had one of those charging-stopped texts, when someone unplugged me at work out of ?malice? perhaps.

I was in a movie, so I couldn't come out. Unfortunately I don't have an iphone, and the blackberry app only works on a couple models (and not mine).

This is why I never rely on the timer override switch at a public charger, it's too easy to get messed with. I just go ahead and reprogram the timer, instead. It would be nice if the timer override was a toggle switch that would stay on.

It shouldn't be the timers. I ran into a timer issue the first day messing around with them, and I've had both timers disabled since.

I've had the car for a week, so still learning about it.

bytre said:
I was in a movie, so I couldn't come out. Unfortunately I don't have an iphone, and the blackberry app only works on a couple models (and not mine).
And this is exactly why I launched https://www.autoflugel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- you can check your car's plugged-in/charging status or start charging just by sending text messages.

haykinson said:
And this is exactly why I launched https://www.autoflugel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- you can check your car's plugged-in/charging status or start charging just by sending text messages.

Useful functionality! Wish carwings had a read only login which could be used for this.

pstroud said:
Where is the start charging override button?
Page 0-6 in the owners manual. It is number 13 in the picture.
It is the middle black button in the upper group of buttons to the left of the steering wheel. (Not the group of four)
Looks like a clock with a plug attached and is labeled "OFF."

I can't add much to the discussion, but I have a question. How many chargers are there? Chargepoint shows 8 total/4 working, possibly in the opposite sides of the parking structure. Basically I'm wondering what are the chances of finding an available charger on a Saturday.

If you can't get the blackberry app working on your phone it at least should have a web browser on it, try opening http://www.nissanusa.com/owners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from your phone. If you're lucky your phone may get a mobile version of the owners portal from where you can start charge and see status. There is no direct address to the mobile web-site unfortunately.

Back