Cold air at my feet!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sven

When I turn the climate control off, I still get cold air drafting from the air vent at my feet while driving (fan is off). This is really annoying since my feet get colder compared to when I'm outside!

-Is this normal, and is there any solution available?

You can either push the recirculation button that will stop fresh/cold air comming from outside, or you can push the mode button until the air from outside is dirrected to you face. I am not sure if Phil's mod allows for fresh air only to the windshield, that would be nice.

I wish the HVAC controls were more manual, like a more basic car. IMO it would be more intuitive to let the user decide independently:

- where the air is to come out
- whether or not heating or cooling is to be applied (heating and cooling should be independently selected, as the user generally knows when they want heating vs cooling, although cycling based on set temp is OK)
- how fast the fan runs
- whether the air is recirculated

I find the current design distracting, having to push buttons randomly to try to get it to do what I want, to work around funny assumptions it makes like if I increase the fan speed that must mean turn on the compressor.

I agree! the current set up is so frustrating I can only try and guess how it ended up the way it is. The only thing I've come up with is that it's culturally become a norm in Japan for electronics to be as automatic as possible. with an electric vehicle, at this stage in the game, it's imperative to have full manual control, at least as an option, which appears to be at odds with the current cultural trend in Japan. let's hope they fully redo the climate control with the emphasis being to allow full manual control by the driver and an intuitive design. I'd even like control on the amount of outside air circulating in, not just a circulate/recirculate button... there should be something like a summertime mode with maximum fresh air coming in vs winter time mode with the ability to fine tune the amount of outside air coming in down to the absolute minimum necessary to keep the windshield clear and the ability to direct all outside air to the winshield with the climate control otherwise turned off, maximizing the conservation of heat in the cabin for added comfort and range extension. It still just amazes me to see that you can reduce the range by 50% if you set everything to auto and let it do it's thing! heated seats and steering wheel are imperative in all but the warmest regions of the US, IMHO!

LTLFTcomposite said:
I wish the HVAC controls were more manual, like a more basic car. IMO it would be more intuitive to let the user decide independently:

- where the air is to come out
- whether or not heating or cooling is to be applied (heating and cooling should be independently selected, as the user generally knows when they want heating vs cooling, although cycling based on set temp is OK)
- how fast the fan runs
- whether the air is recirculated

I find the current design distracting, having to push buttons randomly to try to get it to do what I want, to work around funny assumptions it makes like if I increase the fan speed that must mean turn on the compressor.

LTLFTcomposite said:

I dislike this trend to "climate control" in cars. My Mazda 6 has it too. With both it and the Leaf, I feel like I am constantly trying to trick the climate control into doing what I want when it would be so much simpler to have direct controls for fan, mode, heat and a/c.

huh, maybe you guys would prefer manual roll up/down windows too or open the car with the key? :lol:

I couldn't stand manual controls, it was always too much hassle.

if you are happy with 60 miles of range and cold feet, then no problem! I don't mind having automation as an option, it's being stuck with someone else's idea of perfection that drives me nuts.

IBELEAF said:
huh, maybe you guys would prefer manual roll up/down windows too or open the car with the key? :lol:

I couldn't stand manual controls, it was always too much hassle.

GaslessInSeattle said:
if you are happy with 60 miles of range and cold feet, then no problem! I don't mind having automation as an option, it's being stuck with someone else's idea of perfection that drives me nuts.
What does 60 miles range have anything to do with cold feet? My suggestion would be put on thicker socks or turn on the inside recirculation as already suggested. This is typical on cars with auto climate.

camasleaf said:
You can either push the recirculation button that will stop fresh/cold air comming from outside, or you can push the mode button until the air from outside is dirrected to you face. I am not sure if Phil's mod allows for fresh air only to the windshield, that would be nice.

Thanks! This works great for me.

I pushed the mode button when CC was off and selected defrost+foot mode. I will try to plug the foot vents so the air draft reach the windshield instead.

Sven said:
... I will try to plug the foot vents so the air draft reach the windshield instead.

I have done this, it works well, but keep in mind that the preheat function relies on that vent. it could be hazardous to plug the vent and forget to unplug it before prewarming.

it's the CC's tendency toward preset automatic options that make it impossible to focus the air on the windshield only that causes the cold feet and leading to more reliance on heat... thus the 60 mile range. When I don't care about range I just rely on auto mode, no problem, but when it counts the most, I need full manual control to be in control of prioritizing my needs.

IBELEAF said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
What does 60 miles range have anything to do with cold feet? My suggestion would be put on thicker socks or turn on the inside recirculation as already suggested. This is typical on cars with auto climate.

Guys, this is interesting. I checked the recalls for the 2011/2012 LEAF today at work, and actually there is a "voluntary campaign" where the dealer will install a plastic "apron" on the under part of the front of the car in cold climates at no charge. The recall number is NTB12007. I forget exactly the details, but I'm sure your EV Nissan dealer can figure it out. There are 3 recalls (4 for 2011 models) and all of the other ones deal with reprogramming updates.

I know I'll be installing this cover myself when I get my LEAF :)

Wondering if it could have any ill effect in hot climates? Perhaps the HVAC system relies on inducted air from wind?

Let me know if I can provide any more info (without comprising my confidentiality agreement with my dealer :)

Amazing as it might seem, manual controls with all of their attendant parts, cables, and mechanisms are actually more trouble prone than at automatic system. The repair records for cars that offer both bear this out.

Herm said:
I always find it amazing that people pay extra for automatic climate control in cars, more stuff to break!

Back