Here's how it went.
Easy enough to pop the removeable fasteners, protecting the paint as per the diagram.
But first, remove the mounting nuts, as instructed. There is one on either corner at the outside of the car, which I knew about.
Also, there is a pari of mounting nuts near the center, which I did not know about. You can see the studs in this picture, along with all of the pop-in fastner hole locations:
This is what happens when you don't realize the center fastners are actually bolts, not pop-outs. JB Weld to the rescue. I've had great luck with the stuff; usually ends up being stronger than the original material. First of 2 applications:
And here was the end-goal, thanks to Plasti-Dip rubber coating. I love it on the hood cover. Not entirely sure about the charge cover but my wife likes it.
And I reprised my badge relocation from my 2012. All badges removed exept front logo and relocated "L E A F".
Since the hood cover is 2 pieces I'm not sure how much relative movement there will be. If the two pieces move too much against each other it might end up fretting through the rubber coating but we'll see. Worst case I just remove the Plasti Dip. I did this to the wheels on my first LEAF and it only took a matter of minutes to remove when returning the car. When you're ready it just peels off. But it's fairly durable until then.
The pop-out fasteners seem to work ok. I did bust the bracket for one of them as a side effect from not realizing the bottom 2 center points were hard-fasteners.