leafwing
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:47 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0573
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Cheezmo wrote:
scottf200 wrote:An Early Autumn For A Nissan Leaf Owner In Texas
PUBLISHED JULY 26, 2012 - BY JEFF COBB
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/early-au ... 49026.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That article mentioned someone losing 50% of there range? I've never heard of that. 4 bars was the most, right? Does that equate to 50%?
The article is inaccurate also on capacity after 5 and ten years.
"You bought one in good faith, knowing it was EPA-rated at 73 miles range – not a lot, but enough – and Nissan had assured you that the car was engineered to lose no more than 80 percent capacity in five years and 70 percent in 10."
Lost the first capacity bar on 7/04/2012.
Lost the second bar on 6/26/2013.
Lost the third bar on 6/17/2014.
Lost the Fourth Capacity bar on 6/7/2015.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Cheezmo wrote:That article mentioned someone losing 50% of there range? I've never heard of that. 4 bars was the most, right? Does that equate to 50%?
The difference could be explained by increased internal resistance of the battery, which implies lower attainable energy economy of the vehicle and less range.Image
Last edited by surfingslovak on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 pm

surfingslovak wrote:
Cheezmo wrote:That article mentioned someone losing 50% of there range? I've never heard of that. 4 bars was the most, right? Does that equate to 50%?
The difference could be explained by increased internal resistance of the battery, which will in turn lower the attainable energy economy of the vehicle.Image
Or a misquote from one of the AZ folks who said that they can now only make one leg of their round trip to work and back, when they used to be able to make the whole trip.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty
Posts: 4490
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm

If Nissan waits too long to come up with a satisfactory resolution, the Leaf brand is really going to take it on the chin. It's a really a shame, because the Leaf is a stellar performer in moderate climates. Very disappointing to see this turn of events. I hope they can turn this around. Best hope is for Gen 2 battery pack coming out sooner rather than later. Without that, I can't see this turning out well.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Boomer23 wrote:Or a misquote from one of the AZ folks who said that they can now only make one leg of their round trip to work and back, when they used to be able to make the whole trip.
Yes, absolutely. I didn't expect internal resistance to be ever a problem with the Leaf. What piqued my interest is the fact that most everyone reports larger range loss than what's implied by their Gid reading alone. Another thing that surprised me is that my car can no longer reach quite the same energy economy it was getting last year on identical runs. It's a bit puzzling. Has anyone else seen this?
Last edited by surfingslovak on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EdmondLeaf
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Cheezmo wrote:
scottf200 wrote:An Early Autumn For A Nissan Leaf Owner In Texas
PUBLISHED JULY 26, 2012 - BY JEFF COBB
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/early-au ... 49026.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That article mentioned someone losing 50% of there range? I've never heard of that. 4 bars was the most, right? Does that equate to 50%?
I am not aware of Leaf with 4 CB lost, but I know how display looks like when 3 CB gone. Reduction in range from 90 miles to 45 miles was reported before, but 90 miles was achieved without AC running and early on when we all tend to drive a bit slower, 45 miles was reported recently, but this time with AC running and driving a bit faster on the same road and similar weather condition. One may draw erratic conclusion of 50% range reduction but full disclosure of conditions was given in the report.
Last edited by EdmondLeaf on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 pm

EdmondLeaf wrote:Reduction in range from 90 miles to 45 miles was reported before, but 90 miles was achieved without AC running and early on when we all tend to drive a bit slower, 45 miles was reported not long ago but this time with AC running and driving a bit faster on the same road and similar weather condition. One may draw erratic conclusion of 50% range reduction but full disclosure of conditions was given in the report.
Well, that would certainly be an explanation. Were you in Phoenix for the CBS interview?

EdmondLeaf
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 pm

surfingslovak wrote:
EdmondLeaf wrote:Reduction in range from 90 miles to 45 miles was reported before, but 90 miles was achieved without AC running and early on when we all tend to drive a bit slower, 45 miles was reported not long ago but this time with AC running and driving a bit faster on the same road and similar weather condition. One may draw erratic conclusion of 50% range reduction but full disclosure of conditions was given in the report.
Well, that would certainly be an explanation. Were you in Phoenix for the CBS interview?
I had a pleasure to meet and talk to many PHX Leaf owners. Very nice group of people.

Stoaty
Posts: 4490
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

surfingslovak wrote:Yes, absolutely. I didn't expect internal resistance to be ever a problem with the Leaf. What piqued my interest is the fact that most everyone reports larger range loss than what's implied by their Gid reading alone. Another thing that surprised me is that my car can no longer reach quite the same energy economy it was getting last year on the identical runs. It's a bit puzzling. Has anyone else seen this?
My recent energy economy is identical to my long term average, perhaps even a bit higher:

Lifetime average (dash) - 5.7
Center console reading (reset a couple of months ago and not touched since) - 5.9

Since it is generally accepted that the center console reads 0.1 higher than the dash, this suggests a very slight improvement. My route has not changed, traffic is about the same, and my technique isn't any different (besides, how could I really do better than 5.7? :o )
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 pm

A question for this group,

Is there anyone with a 2012 car anywhere in the world having a lost bar? Is there anyone with a 2011 car that took delivery after August 2011 anywhere in the world having a lost bar?
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”