Pipcecil

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 am

GotMyleaf wrote:
smkettner wrote:55,773 on the odometer is about as good as it gets.
Did you have any inclination to go 59,000 before calling for replacement? No. 9 bars sucks the big one, I average 2,200 miles/month so I was suffering in the truck lane and QCing often.

Was that hot voucher lip service or actually in the warranty? I haven't heard a thing from Nissan about that yet.

Really nice to see that 12 bars again :D Now is time to join the 100 mile club if not already. - I never tried to get into the club, but I will now.

Will you charge or drive any differently with the new battery?
Nope, I'm back to my 'old ways' in the carpool lane baby!
You are right, 9 bars REALLY sucks. I can wait for my car to drop that last bar. I got almost 51k on mine so hopefully it will drop before I hit 60k.
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

tombobcat

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 am

GotMyleaf wrote:The suffering is over!! The car was back in my hands with a new battery on January 11th! Took the service department about three days to complete the work and Nissan corporate is VERY helpful after that fourth bar disappears. I'll be keeping this car after the lease is up and I'm hoping that the plan to provide certificates to get the new 'hot battery' to folks that fell under the warranty goes as planned.
May I ask what dealer you have your battery replaced at? I'm a 2 CB loser and hopefully make it before 60000 miles. What's your GIDs reading at full charge?
Delivered: 5/3/11
VIN# 1378.

GotMyleaf
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 8110

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:07 pm

tombobcat wrote:
GotMyleaf wrote:The suffering is over!! The car was back in my hands with a new battery on January 11th! Took the service department about three days to complete the work and Nissan corporate is VERY helpful after that fourth bar disappears. I'll be keeping this car after the lease is up and I'm hoping that the plan to provide certificates to get the new 'hot battery' to folks that fell under the warranty goes as planned.
May I ask what dealer you have your battery replaced at? I'm a 2 CB loser and hopefully make it before 60000 miles. What's your GIDs reading at full charge?
I took it to Fontana Nissan. I was their first capacity warranty and the service tech and had to have Nissan call them but outside of that, things went well. I had 264 GIDS the last time I check full charge. Soooo nice!

aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 pm

It's good to see that the work restores 12 capacity bars (though I don't know what "12 capacity bars" means exactly, at that point...) even though the warranty says "any repairs needed to return battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge".
Anna Nguyen

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:41 pm

aqn wrote:

It's good to see that the work restores 12 capacity bars (though I don't know what "12 capacity bars" means exactly, at that point...) even though the warranty says "any repairs needed to return battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge".
Any time they swap batteries the car will say 12 bars, it takes weeks to get the first bar to disappear should they put a refurb battery in.

Odds are though, that they put a fresh "truly 12 bar" battery in. Several reasons why Nissan wouldn't want to bother with putting a worse battery in.

totally unrelated snippet to follow:

I was online in a game last night and someone in my group has a Leaf. He tried to say they have a 150,000 mile warranty on the battery including capacity not just outright failure and I had to post this quote in chat to him:

"Nissan standard battery warranty for LEAF – which includes industry-leading 5 years/60,000 mile coverage against battery capacity loss (below approximately 70%) and 8 years/100,000 miles against defects."

I think he is in / near San Fran, CA so he is thinking extended CARB rules on the defect warranty but he has no clue about the capacity issue. I asked if he went to this web site ever and he made it clear he hadn't read any of this thread or any of the other major battery replacement threads.

Just so many people out there that don't have any clue about capacity bars or what the warranty on them mean.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 am

GotMyleaf wrote:
tombobcat wrote:
I took it to Fontana Nissan. I was their first capacity warranty and the service tech and had to have Nissan call them but outside of that, things went well. I had 264 GIDS the last time I check full charge. Soooo nice!
your GID count was 264 on the replacement pack? that sure does not sound like a new one to me
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 15, 235.1mi, 93.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aqn
Gold Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57 pm

dhanson865 wrote:
aqn wrote:

Any time they swap batteries the car will say 12 bars, it takes weeks to get the first bar to disappear should they put a refurb battery in.
Do we know for sure that they swap the entire battery? And not replacing only defective cells? (Firm references please, not deductions/theories/conjectures. [This is not directed at anyone in particular.])
Observation on range of the "new battery" will also be very helpful.
Anna Nguyen

DaveEV

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Anyone with LEAF Spy or a LeafDD and 10% capacity loss or more can easily confirm that it's impossible to recover more than a couple percent of capacity by simply swapping out the lowest capacity modules.

I wish it were that easy, I'd spend a couple hundred bucks on a few 60+Ah modules off eBay and get back more than half the capacity I've lost. Others with 3-4 bars would benefit even more.

(Yes, others have confirmed that they are getting complete replacement packs and they are not replacings modules)

aqn
Gold Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:38 pm

drees wrote:Anyone with LEAF Spy or a LeafDD and 10% capacity loss or more can easily confirm that it's impossible to recover more than a couple percent of capacity by simply swapping out the lowest capacity modules.
How does one confirm it with LEAF Spy or LeafDD?
drees wrote:I wish it were that easy, I'd spend a couple hundred bucks on a few 60+Ah modules off eBay and get back more than half the capacity I've lost. Others with 3-4 bars would benefit even more.

(Yes, others have confirmed that they are getting complete replacement packs and they are not replacings modules)
I take your words for it, but I wouldn't put that in the wiki. I would like to put that in the wiki, but "drees said so" does not carry the same weight with people beyond the bounds of these forums. Hence, references.
Anna Nguyen

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 pm

3 bar loser found on a dealer lot

#25 sold in 9/2013 presumably after 3 bars lost
Fort Worth, TX
07/11
JN1AZ0CP8BT007897 found for sale at Trophy Nissan in Mesquite, TX with 47,790 miles on the odometer, vehicle history shows one owner in Fort Worth, TX that owner sold at 44,361 on odometer. Marked as Nissan Certified Pre-Owned.

They only want $14,777 + taxes and fees.

The big question is if you bought it today could you use up the 4th bar in time to get a free battery replacement.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”