dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 pm

jhm614 wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:We should be getting some instrumented readings from 2013 owners by now, particularly in Pheonix. Unfortunately all we have early on from 2011/2012 owners are reports of bar losses, so comparisons are difficult. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 2013s are faring.
I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p347591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be the one you are looking for
My AH actually dropped during fall/winter as I lost my first bar in Dec.

_________________
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
or maybe this one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I observed an interesting thing with my 2013 compared to my 2011 pertaining to battery degradation. When my 2011 lost a cb, it was down 20% as my capacity gauge read 80%. Nissan said they 'tweaked' the chemistry in the 2013 bp, but I'm not sure how much it has helped yet because at 54.8 AH I lost my first cb, only 7800 miles/10 mos.
or similar at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p345912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I was musing over the title of this thread... Remember when being down to 11 bars was a big deal? Now it is something that many of aspire to and can barely remember!
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

jhm614 wrote:I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.
dhanson865 wrote:http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p347591 might be the one you are looking for
My AH actually dropped during fall/winter as I lost my first bar in Dec.

_________________
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
or maybe this one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I observed an interesting thing with my 2013 compared to my 2011 pertaining to battery degradation. When my 2011 lost a cb, it was down 20% as my capacity gauge read 80%. Nissan said they 'tweaked' the chemistry in the 2013 bp, but I'm not sure how much it has helped yet because at 54.8 AH I lost my first cb, only 7800 miles/10 mos.
or similar at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p345912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, jhm614 and dhanson865.

So it appears that LeafFan has lost a bar after a single summer, just as at least one 2011 LEAF owner experienced in late 2011.

Perhaps it does not have improved battery capacity degradation rates than the 2011/2012s...
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Perhaps my memory is failing me (again), but I do not remember reading or hearing anything official that indicated that the 2013 battery was any better at degradation... The chemistry change was apparently for other reasons...
RegGuheert wrote:Perhaps it does not have improved battery capacity degradation rates than the 2011/2012s...
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15308
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 am

RegGuheert wrote:
jhm614 wrote:I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.
dhanson865 wrote:http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p347591 might be the one you are looking for
My AH actually dropped during fall/winter as I lost my first bar in Dec.

_________________
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
or maybe this one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I observed an interesting thing with my 2013 compared to my 2011 pertaining to battery degradation. When my 2011 lost a cb, it was down 20% as my capacity gauge read 80%. Nissan said they 'tweaked' the chemistry in the 2013 bp, but I'm not sure how much it has helped yet because at 54.8 AH I lost my first cb, only 7800 miles/10 mos.
or similar at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p345912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, jhm614 and dhanson865.

So it appears that LeafFan has lost a bar after a single summer, just as at least one 2011 LEAF owner experienced in late 2011.

Perhaps it does not have improved battery capacity degradation rates than the 2011/2012s...

was an early 2013 as well.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 15, 235.1mi, 93.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:16 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:was an early 2013 as well.
I was thinking the same thing - the first 2013 LEAFs most likely got with batteries from Japan - it's possible that any chemistry tweaks in Japan are not the same as the ones in Tennessee - or they put in the tweaks later.

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm

At the end of February (one year of two-year lease), I will post the BC %. Right now, with less than three weeks to go, I'm at 84% capacity. So the pack may end up being about 4% better/improvement over the 2011 pack which after one year/10K miles the capacity was 80%.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2270
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 am

LEAFfan wrote:At the end of February (one year of two-year lease), I will post the BC %. Right now, with less than three weeks to go, I'm at 84% capacity. So the pack may end up being about 4% better/improvement over the 2011 pack which after one year/10K miles the capacity was 80%.
What were the start/end dates for the 2011? Your 2013 obviously benefited from only ONE summer season. In either case, you could make the argument that 4% (or maybe 3% by the time you hit your year) is within the "noise" tolerance; in other words, no real change/improvement in battery chemistry (at least not until the "hot pack").
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

uwskier20
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1123
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:31 am

Lost my first capacity bar today, finally. I suspect I've been flirting with this for quite some time.

Odometer: 48,500 miles
Capacity: 55.16 AHr
Hx: 69.25%

I guess it's time to update my signature... :evil:
'11 SL-e #1123, 5/18/11-7/5/14. Final stats 6/29/14: 54,591; 11/12 BB; 52.74Ahr.
'14 SL #337748, delivered 7/5/14. Stats: 112; 12/12 BB; 63.33 Ahr.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15308
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 am

uwskier20 wrote:Lost my first capacity bar today, finally. I suspect I've been flirting with this for quite some time.

Odometer: 48,500 miles
Capacity: 55.16 AHr
Hx: 69.25%

I guess it's time to update my signature... :evil:
oh oh, must be that "dry Summertime mountain climate" that accelerated your degradation. i think Steve was over 65,000 or so when he lost his but then again, he works on the shores of Hood Canal... marine climates always were amenable to EV power packs...
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 15, 235.1mi, 93.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”