User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 am

It is going to cause some people, even in cool climates, to double think acquiring a Leaf... My 4 year lease is looking better and better at this point.
LEAFfan wrote:Losing 2 capacity bars is over 21% loss. If losing 2 bars in a little over a year is gradual, then Nissan has gone insane.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Volusiano
Posts: 1461
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:41 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 am

leafkabob wrote:1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
2. bturner - May 12, 2012. 13.6K/12 months. Phoenix
3. turbo2ltr - May 18, 2012. 13K/15 months. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 12K?/12 months? Phoenix
5. Volusiano - May 20, 2012. 16.5K/12 months. Phoenix
6. Mark13 - May 22, 2012. 15.7K/12 months. Phoenix
7. Leafkabob - May 26, 2012. 9.5K/12 months. Phoenix
8. Cyellen - __________. ___K/14 months. Phoenix
9. RickS - June 10, 2012. 11.3K/13 months. Phoenix

Not reported by owner, but by others:
1. Opossum has reported of two cars in Phoenix that have lost 2 bars.
2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.
Great compilation, Leafkabob! Thank you. When you figure out how you want to pursue this with Nissan together with other Phoenix owners who lost 1 bar, please let us know so we can join forces.

And Nissan only claims 5 reports out of thousands in Phoenix in that GreenCarReports article when it's easily 10 to 11 already and if not counting upward. And to do it right, we should find out how many people who are registered on this forum from Phoenix and see what the ratio of the reported losses over registered Phoenix owners is. And I'm sure there are registered owners on the forum who may no longer participate or follow the threads after they bought their cars. So the ratio would already be a conservative estimate of the % of Phoenix owners affected by the loss. But for sure it's not only 5 out of the thousands like Nissan wants us to believe.

Is there an easy way to see how many forum members are registered as from Phoenix? Or for a more accurate ratio, we should go to the Phoenix thread in the forum and count the number of Phoenix owners participating there and use this number as the denominator.

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6249
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:02 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Rav4's that are still running around on original batteries with over 100,000 miles, over 10 years, and still get 100 mile range with a 6.6 kW charger.
There are very few RAV4s that meet that criteria - the fleet studies I've seen show 10-30% degradation over 5 years /100k miles as one would expect. After 10 years most have had their packs replaced/repaired.

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 pm

shrink wrote:
leafkabob wrote:1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
2. bturner - May 12, 2012. 13.6K/12 months. Phoenix
3. turbo2ltr - May 18, 2012. 13K/15 months. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 12K?/12 months? Phoenix
5. Volusiano - May 20, 2012. 16.5K/12 months. Phoenix
6. Mark13 - May 22, 2012. 15.7K/12 months. Phoenix
7. Leafkabob - May 26, 2012. 9.5K/12 months. Phoenix
8. Cyellen - __________. ___K/14 months. Phoenix
9. RickS - June 10, 2012. 11.3K/13 months. Phoenix

Not reported by owner, but by others:
1. Opossum has reported of two cars in Phoenix that have lost 2 bars.
2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.
I'm at 10 months/10,000 miles and still have all 12. Will keep you all posted though. I must be on the verge.
Yours was at the same loss as mine, about 9%, but now I lost another 2%. If you want me to check yours again, just let me know.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

myleaf
Gold Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000471
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:51 pm

I am in Phx at 13K miles 14 months, still have 12 bars (knock on wood).
Leaf Number 471 2/2011
5/2017 69,900 miles
"Never met an electron I did not like"

User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:13 pm

leafkabob wrote:1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
2. bturner - May 12, 2012. 13.6K/12 months. Phoenix
3. turbo2ltr - May 18, 2012. 13K/15 months. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 14K/12 months. Phoenix
5. Volusiano - May 20, 2012. 16.5K/12 months. Phoenix
6. Mark13 - May 22, 2012. 15.7K/12 months. Phoenix
7. Leafkabob - May 26, 2012. 9.5K/12 months. Phoenix
8. Cyellen - __________. ___K/14 months. Phoenix
9. RickS - June 10, 2012. 11.3K/13 months. Phoenix

Not reported by owner, but by others:
1. Opossum has reported of two cars in Phoenix that have lost 2 bars.
2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.
Updated my entry

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:42 pm

You can add one more to the bar losers in the Phoenix area. Someone told me that Skywagon lost a bar about a month ago or so and they said he has already traded it in on some kind of hybrid after Nissan told him the same thing...his loss was "gradual" and "normal". He bought it in Jan. and had over 15K miles on it. The person didn't know which hybrid he bought.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Pipcecil wrote:I still don't understand the condition in Arizona versus other places that have resulted in the faster battery degredation. Texas last year had an extreme scorcher summer, not on par with Arizona, but temperatures stayed well above 100 degrees usually averaging about 105. Texas last summer also did not get the cooling affect that Arizona gets during the nighttime hours. We had long periods were the temperature never dropped below 90 degrees for weeks!
I am no battery/engineer guy, but something must be significantly worse in Arizona versus places like Texas. Humidity and dry air? Payment heating (could there be a difference from asphalt to concrete)? As of yet (knock on wood) no one in Texas has reported battery loss, and, you could easily make the comparison that Texas is mostly similar to Arizona for heat-wise that got early roll outs.
I am a little hesitant to quickly jump to "its a heat related issue only" since no one in Texas has had problems. There has to be more to the equation than this, it just doesn't add up unless that few degree difference makes an exponential impact to the battery degradation.
Have you ever been to AZ in the summer? The cooler temps at night that you are talking about are in Spring, not Summer. In the summer, it stays above 100 for a long time...well into the early morning hours. Now, we can open the windows in our home after MN to 1 AM. In a few weeks, we won't be able to as the outside night temps will be much higher than inside. And last year we had OVER 30 days of 110 or higher. How many 110's or higher did you have last year? August is usually the hottest which had 12 straight days of 110 or higher last year.
We have LEAF drivers that have only charged to 80%, always park in the shade, never top off, never leave it at 100%, and have cool garages, etc., yet have lost a capacity bar. My guess is the many days of 100 and above that we have here affects the pack the most.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Las Vegas often has a similar condition so I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen the same situation there... Apparently the average of high temperature extended periods must be greater in Phoenix. Or perhaps there simply aren't that many older cars yet in Las Vegas for it to have showed up...
LEAFfan wrote:Have you ever been to AZ in the summer? The cooler temps at night that you are talking about are in Spring, not Summer. In the summer, it stays above 100 for a long time...well into the early morning hours. Now, we can open the windows in our home after MN to 1 AM. In a few weeks, we won't be able to as the outside night temps will be much higher than inside. And last year we had OVER 30 days of 110 or higher. How many 110's or higher did you have last year? August is usually the hottest which had 12 straight days of 110 or higher last year.
We have LEAF drivers that have only charged to 80%, always park in the shade, never top off, never leave it at 100%, and have cool garages, etc., yet have lost a capacity bar. My guess is the many days of 100 and above that we have here affects the pack the most.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

shrink
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 21842
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

LEAFfan wrote:You can add one more to the bar losers in the Phoenix area. Someone told me that Skywagon lost a bar about a month ago or so and they said he has already traded it in on some kind of hybrid after Nissan told him the same thing...his loss was "gradual" and "normal". He bought it in Jan. and had over 15K miles on it. The person didn't know which hybrid he bought.
Wow. I might be joining him in the trade-in while I still have all 12 bars.
2011 LEAF (Sold) | 2012 Volt (Sold) | 2012 LEAF (Lease Ended) | 2010 Tesla Roadster #501 | 2013 Tesla Model S #9001 | 6.827 kW SunPower PV System

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”