62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For acceleration, the weight transfer is away from the front wheels so it is easy to spin the Ecopias on wet pavement, but it is even easier to spin the Michelins. If the Ecopias are inflated to about 44 psi, wet braking is much improved compared to Nissan-recommended 36 psi. The OEM Michelin braking distance is terrible wet or dry regardless of inflation pressure.

Has anyone looked at these rims?

https://www.canadawheels.ca/fast-wheels/ev01-plus-titanium-w162162.html

At 16 Lbs, they are maybe 15-20Lbs less than the OEM rims.

I am thinking of putting them on the S+ and move 16" rims to the SV+.

Anyone else heard of anyone using these?

Feb is in the books

SV+ 350 miles and 3.1 miles/kWh

S+ 330 miles and 4.0 miles/kWh

Cold than snowy Feb, saw the month finish with a bit nicer weather. Driving has been more local/close hwy except for a trip to WI in the S+, which I ran heat for given the low temps at the time and daughter in the car.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Feb is in the books

SV+ 350 miles and 3.1 miles/kWh

S+ 330 miles and 4.0 miles/kWh

Cold than snowy Feb, saw the month finish with a bit nicer weather. Driving has been more local/close hwy except for a trip to WI in the S+, which I ran heat for given the low temps at the time and daughter in the car.

S+ 2.9 this Feb- cold, snowy, back-road, no highway at all, studded tires..... looking forward to warmer weather.

I am seriously considering buying these wheels for my SV+. Has anyone purchased them for their Tesla? (Make them my summer tires)

They appear to perform on par with the Tesla Aero wheels.

https://youtu.be/kDmqNVpqgMc

They look good. Seem to work well. Test wasn't completely clean from the sound of it, but they came close enough.

Wish these wheels had been available when I bought our summer wheels for the Leaf SL+. We went with 17x7, just slightly wider, a bit lighter, very affordable wheel from Discount Tire. Then we swapped the stock all-seasons on them, and put snows on the stock 17x6.5 wheels, since they're narrower and have an aero component to their shape. I figured that was the better option at the time.

Car has plenty of range for our purposes around time in the summer time, up and down the front range urban corridor. The summer wheels didn't noticeably impact range or efficiency after we put them on. I did that before the weather changed, but it was only for a bit. Need more data.

I might look at these for a future Tesla if we go that route as a snow tire. No way no how am I spending what Tesla wants for a snow tire/wheel package. 18x8.5s for a snow tire? You gotta be kidding me. The Tesla world is it's own thing, that much is clear to me already, lol.

I am hoping the weight difference on each corner brings the SV+ in line efficiency wise with the S+. The stock 17" rims are 37 lbs. Compared to 16-20 for the EV01+ rims.

https://www.google.com/search?q=403005SH3E+weight&oq=403005SH3E+weight&aqs=chrome..69i57.4171j0j4&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

DougWantsALeaf said:
I am hoping the weight difference on each corner brings the SV+ in line efficiency wise with the S+. The stock 17" rims are 37 lbs. Compared to 16-20 for the EV01+ rims.

https://www.google.com/search?q=403005SH3E+weight&oq=403005SH3E+weight&aqs=chrome..69i57.4171j0j4&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
37 lbs for a 17" wheel is really heavy. I'm thinking that's for the shipping weight. My guess is around 20-25 lbs.

Ok, order for the EV01+ wheels was made. While I am waiting for delivery, any thoughts on tires. I am leaning towards more ecopias, but very open to suggestions. Wheel will be going on the S+. I will move the old 16" rims to the SV+ once it's tires are spent.

My guess? that wheel weight will not affect efficiency perceptibly. I hope to be wrong- as a perennial loser I always bet for the political party I hope to see lose, it is safer than betting for those who I prefer to win!

I am also leery of the 19 and 20" wheels on all of the newer cars- on rough country roads I need more rubber to help absorb road hazard shock.....

Well, hoping that the delta per wheel is 15-20 lbs per corner, which is a lot of unsprung weight. Combine that with a little more wheel face efficiency, and if I could show .1 - .2 miles per kWh improvement, I would be extremely happy. The "tests" suggest efficiency near Tesla Aero wheels. I am very curious how much or little the stock nissan rims are...guessing little, but we will see.

It's funny, when ordering the wheels, they mentioned that they do get orders for Leafs, just not many in the 16" variant.

I am fine with more sidewall, softer ride, and less cool.

"Cool"? you call those expensive easily-damaged glitzy wheels "cool"? cool to me is a sturdy rusty steel wheel which has numerous dents around the rim where others (not myself) have scrubbed the curb and not actually damaged anything!

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, order for the EV01+ wheels was made. While I am waiting for delivery, any thoughts on tires. I am leaning towards more ecopias, but very open to suggestions. Wheel will be going on the S+. I will move the old 16" rims to the SV+ once it's tires are spent.

I was in the same position, looking for summer tires for the 17" OEM rims. The Ecopia 422 Plus has a much higher tread wear rating than the Michelin A/S at UTQG: 640 A A vs UTQG: 480 A A, and also a stiffer sidewall/load rating. 91S, vs 95XL. Rolling resistance and noise all seem comparable in reviews. Price was ok here too at at about 15% less than the CAD Costco pricing installed.

Post a few pics with your new rims. I'm looking forward to swapping out the 16" studded winters in a few weeks.

I do like the Ecopia 422 Plus tires in 215/50 R17". This week was my first time driving on the OEM wheels and new tires. The winters are studded 205/60 16" which are great in the snow, but no fun on dry pavement. With the warmer weather and new tires (even with their 10%/new hit on rolling resistance) I set the best two range days (about 4 miles/kwh) in the urban cycle with a small amount of heat use. My winter average (temps as low as -30C) was around 2.7 miles /kwh

They are happy at about 39 psi with zero shoulder roll over so far.

Not surprisingly, they are vastly quieter than the studded winters, and dry grip is much, much better. They are firm but not harsh on our rather crappy roads here. Not too much squirm at higher speeds, even with full tread depth.

The car's aesthetic with the 16" winter alloys is not so great (but it came with them, and the car was cheap...so all ok :) )

leaf0421_1.jpg

but much better with OEM rims and the Ecopia tires:

042117_1.jpg

Triggerhappy007 said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

37 lbs for a 17" wheel is really heavy. I'm thinking that's for the shipping weight. My guess is around 20-25 lbs.

I've weighed our stock 17s. 25#. Not 37.

April in the books, and dining picked up, largely due to long drive to get the (adultish) kids vaccines.

S+ 890 miles 4.9 miles/kWh. ~50% highway

SV+ 360 miles 4.5 miles/kWh ~25% highway (and a bit slower highway as well)

Two weeks of mid Summer weather makes a difference.

1364.3 miles @ 4.76 miles/kwh.

"Highlights" (only because you aren't driving!) The ID 4 test drive. 165.3 miles @ 5.2 miles/kwh which (as always) involved several bottlenecks south of Seattle to Olympia.

In the "looks impressive but means nothing" category; One day all in town driving; 30.5 miles @6.2 miles/kwh.

Back