62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S+ 890 miles 4.9 miles/kWh. ~50% highway

SV+ 360 miles 4.5 miles/kWh ~25% highway (and a bit slower highway as well)

Curious: do you accept the Leaf number of miles/ kWh, or do you use Leafspy to get more accurate numbers? in other words, does the GOM accurately compute miles/kWh?

dmacarthur said:
S+ 890 miles 4.9 miles/kWh. ~50% highway

SV+ 360 miles 4.5 miles/kWh ~25% highway (and a bit slower highway as well)

Curious: do you accept the Leaf number of miles/ kWh, or do you use Leafspy to get more accurate numbers? in other words, does the GOM accurately compute miles/kWh?

Interesting concept. I will add that to my data list and report back.

The S+ is based on the dash efficiency. The SV+ is based on the Nissan Connect app metrics.

Certainly take it all with a grain of salt. I don't Leaf Spy every little trip, just the journies. LeafSpy rounds to the nearest mile, otherwise has been accurate to +/-.1 with the dash efficiency for my trips over 50 miles.

I can post the hand full of trips logs if anyone is interested.

LeafSpy rounds to the nearest mile, otherwise has been accurate to +/-.1 with the dash efficiency for my trips over 50 miles.

Thanks for this, I saw on one of the EV efficiency sites that Teslas are rated as the most efficient but they are only rated at about 25 kWh/ mile or 4 miles/kWh........ not uncommon for Leafs to get this or better, even tho Leafs are listed well down the list for efficiency. Which poses the question: what is the real-world efficiency of electric vehicles? we know Leafs from our own experience and from people sharing on this forum, are there Tesla owners here who can share actual data? is it possible that Tesla has technology that makes their motors more efficient, or do they cook the books somehow?

dmacarthur said:
Thanks for this, I saw on one of the EV efficiency sites that Teslas are rated as the most efficient but they are only rated at about 25 kWh/ mile or 4 miles/kWh........ not uncommon for Leafs to get this or better, even tho Leafs are listed well down the list for efficiency. Which poses the question: what is the real-world efficiency of electric vehicles? we know Leafs from our own experience and from people sharing on this forum, are there Tesla owners here who can share actual data? is it possible that Tesla has technology that makes their motors more efficient, or do they cook the books somehow?
Depends on the model. The model 3 actually gets 5 miles / kilowatt hour, read it somewhere on here....

knightmb said:
dmacarthur said:
Depends on the model. The model 3 actually gets 5 miles / kilowatt hour, read it somewhere on here....

It all depends if we are looking at wall to wheels which is what we "should" be looking at. Like any EV, we can do very well or not and its mostly dependent upon ourselves. Sure some cars make it easier but that does not seem to be the main determining factor.

My in-laws Tesla reads out kWh/mile, which is analogous to using gallons per mile for ICE...... actually a bit more intuitive and a better indicator of what we SHOULD be paying attention to- people like those huge numbers such as 60 MPG when in actual fact we would understand better our gasoline (or electricity) use if we used gallons/mile: going from 45 to 60 MPG saves 6 thousandths of a gallon ever mile, or 60 gallons in ten thousand miles. Getting a car off the road that gets 20 MPG and substituting one that gets 60 MPG would save 340 gallons over the same period. also analogous to using U-value to rate insulation, R-50 is the tiniest bit better insulation than R-40 but it sounds MUCH better. U-value of .025 vs. .020 Saves one thousandth of a BTU per square foot per hour per degree differential from the normal, worth it only if the cost is minimal....

I do like the watts/mile reporting style.

In general I am a conservative driver and rarely run hvac unless my wife is in the car. That helps my averages a bit during the year. I do feel like the persona of an average Leaf driver is fairly conservative, so it doesn't surprise me that many can overperform the EPA figures. For the drives my wife does, she is much closer to the epa norms especially in winter, and doesn't care much about the efficiency as long as the car can get her where she needs to go. The rest is mainly just noise to her...though occasionally she humors me and listens to my banter.

The rest is mainly just noise to her...though occasionally she humors me and listens to my banter.

We talking about my car-mate here also? exactly the same story..... except I seldom get humored for very long and there is usually a yawn or 2 involved.....

It does sound like it.

Here is my Leafspy log. There are two pairs of 67 and 66 mile drives. Those were between Skokie and Sandwich IL. The 108 and 111 mile drives were the round trip between Skokie and Pontiac IL. I was generally at or above the speed limits for the trips (though with gentle acceleration to speed). We didnhave some traffic on way to the highway in a couple cases, which explains the slightly long trip times. Driving on the 294 bypass around Chicago tends to have large number of fast moving trucks, which feels like it helps overall efficiency a bit in both directions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dw_-BjE7melp24rfA9j-3ERh4E_pIlmz/view?usp=drivesdk

While it's no Tesla, I am pretty happy with the efficiency at freeway speeds on the 16" aero rims. I. Thinking of taping the front non-existent fog lamp slots for my next drive as there are lots of opportunities to smooth the front of the car to improve aero.

Must be nice to have those long stretches of constant speed to test on. FYI; I have been looking at the GOM verses LEAF Spy and found some interesting "issues." *commenting on post in T3 thread*

On my relatively short commutes 27.9 or 28.0 RT for work, I was seeing what appears to be the GOM not rounding up.

dash/LS
4.6/4.67
4.7/4.73
4.5/4.58
4.8/4.84

I was participating in a trial at Fred Hutch, so tracked that and got a completely different reading over 126.3 miles

5.0/4.88

Haven't looked into why this happened but some data points; My commute is generally 60-70 in the morning, 65-75 in the evening 2/3rds freeway. It is a constant up and down. My higher speeds are simply playing the gravity game (BTW...it seems to be the rule of law in this area of I-5) so guessing the Seattle trip numbers have to do with what is likely a MUCH larger regen figure. I do check my regen values on my daily commute and see generally 2 miles (one way) with a rare 3. Morning trips see some congestion on 'incident free' days but rarely see any slow down in the evenings.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Fascinating that the largest discrepancy was on the longest run. .1 isn't that big of a difference, but mile rounding wouldn't explain it.

I chalk it up to traffic conditions. Will have to look at the logs but the Seattle trip was a constant speed up, slow down which means the regen value is HUGE. Guessing there is something going on when that is thrown into the mix. The work commutes are nearly regen free (freeway anyway) as I simply strive to "deadband" down the hills (zero power in or out)

Another month come and gone.

S+ 510 miles and 5.3 miles/kWh. It was 5.4 until this weekend when temps dropped to the 40s and I had a 70 mile trip on the freeway/fast highway. The kids did run AC a few days as well, so likely a tenth or two left on the table.

SV+ 475 miles and 4.8 miles/kWh.

We didn't have any long trips this month, so majority of the driving (75%) was local sub 50 mph driving.

The cars have been a pretty consistant .5 miles/kWh apart. May overall was fairly warm until the last 5 days when temps plummeted. They are coming back now, so June should be good efficiency wise, as it often is for the Leaf.

Also today ends my NCTC. I still have ql15 more days for my evgo $250 credit, but it was nice while it lasted. Now back to home charging and fully enjoying off peak electricity rates.

June is in the books.

SV+ 538 miles and 4.7 miles/kWh

S+ 840 miles and 5.2 miles/kWh the teenagers use the car to commute to work now, and don't see the sin in running the AC. A fair number of freeway miles this month.

The cars are still predictably .5 miles/kWh apart though though S+ sees more highway miles in that mix.

I finally have my abrp synced to the car via Leafspy, so hope to contribute some data going forward.

July is come and gone
My daughter was in a car accident with the S+ this month so miles were reversed, and the SV+ saw more action than the S+. Everyone was fine (other driver at fault), but boy it doesn't take much of a hit to score 6,800 in damages. We had 2 trips to Wisconsin in the SV+ as a result, and while not as efficient, it did great.

SV+ 912 miles 4.3 miles/kWh
S+ 311 miles 5.2 miles/kWh ( out of commission for 2+ weeks)

Ok, August is in the books. Summer winding down sadly.

SV+ 529 miles 4.3 mile/kWh. Not very much highway, and lots of AC as August was hot.

S+ 746 miles and 5.0 miles/kWh this included 70mph freeway runs to/from Milwaukee.

I am starting to think that the ecopias are not as traction rich as before when new. When flooring it, the car tires will squak (ok squeak) all the way to 50mph. That doesn't happen in the SV+ with the Michelins.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, August is in the books. Summer winding down sadly.

SV+ 529 miles 4.3 mile/kWh. Not very much highway, and lots of AC as August was hot.

S+ 746 miles and 5.0 miles/kWh this included 70mph freeway runs to/from Milwaukee.

I am starting to think that the ecopias are not as traction rich as before when new. When flooring it, the car tires will squak (ok squeak) all the way to 50mph. That doesn't happen in the SV+ with the Michelins.

Ecopias known for lowest rolling resistance which means less flex, less traction so yeah... they would spin easier.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Consistently averaging between 4.3 and 4.4 m/kWh on my SV+ for the last thousand miles. Mainly suburban commuting with limited highway with (of course Houston,Tx) A/C. 40 psi on the Michelins.

Back