I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our S+ we replaced our stock rims with fastwheels' EV01+ (covers on). They are about 5lbs lighter than the 16" rims and 10 lbs lighter than the stock 17" rims.

https://youtu.be/b4K4qLD7Pcc

No plans on being a youtuber you will see.

Good Stuff! I had not seen those wheels before. Sounds like they're around 16 pounds each . . . I couldn't find the spec on the website. They really do seem to help with aerodynamic drag. Mid-5's average is really good for nearly 60 mph.

I'm guessing you got new tires when you switched to those wheels. Care to share the tire brand/model/size?

Speedo is a bit off on the 16" tires, so 58mph on the speedo is 56mph GPS. Still, in a humid day, the car goes far, even with a 93% SoH.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZiaX4x6isj2m8R77bjgkajboJwx26VOy/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZiV_IXolqyuGY4Ast-OrCkY_6zy1xg7y/view?usp=drivesdk

15.9lbs + a few ounces for the plastic covers.

First link gave me Access Denied. No worries. Just wondering if you did anything special with tires, or if the improvement is all from the wheels. Maybe they're LRR models, or you're using higher pressures? And how far down is the tread worn, as I suspect my relatively new tires have more rolling resistance than what they replaced.

Note that the speedometer being off affects mi/kWh results (slightly), as it gets the numerator from there. So if the speedometer reads high, you cover a bit less than a mile when the computer thinks it's a full mile. But the difference is just 1-2%, so your mid-5.x mi/kWh for 56mph is still quite impressive. I would expect more like mid 4.x (depending heavily on ambient conditions of course).

My 2019 SL Plus has averaged 2.904 mi/kWh since new. The odometer was 34,881 miles when I charged last and it has used 12,011.37 kWh from the wall. It is probably a little better than that calculated average because the odometer shows a little less than actual distance traveled and the car was not fully charged when I picked it up with 30 miles on it almost 2 years ago. I reset the dash display every charge cycle and it typically ranges from 2.9 to 4.0 mi/kWh (usually around 3.2 to 3.6). The highest was 5.8 on a 5.7-mile trip that was all down hill.

GerryAZ said:
The odometer was 34,881 miles when I charged last and it has used 12,011.37 kWh from the wall.
Nice to have that second number. Was all your charging from home, or does that also include public chargers? There are several free public chargers that I use that don't report how much energy I consumed.

Note that the dashboard number is after all charging overheads, so if you had never reset that over the course of those ~35K miles, it would be somewhat higher (maybe 15%). I'm sure you know this, I'm mentioning it for others.

Bobkart

The tires are the stock ecopias at 44psi cold. I ran no hvac for that test, and it was mid 80s and humid, which is about as good as you can do ambient environment wise. It was not all that comfortable of a ride, though having an ice water with helped a lot.

Yeah, while the speedo is off a little, I have seen the odometer be pretty accurate, but it's hard to know exactly with lane changes and other inconsistencies.

Tires have about 7K miles on them.

Wall efficiency is more accurate from a cost to drive perspective, I agree.

bobkart said:
GerryAZ said:
The odometer was 34,881 miles when I charged last and it has used 12,011.37 kWh from the wall.
Nice to have that second number. Was all your charging from home, or does that also include public chargers? There are several free public chargers that I use that don't report how much energy I consumed.

Note that the dashboard number is after all charging overheads, so if you had never reset that over the course of those ~35K miles, it would be somewhat higher (maybe 15%). I'm sure you know this, I'm mentioning it for others.

I have energy information from most of the public charging sessions (11 QC's and no L2's) either from the charger displays or via emails from Blink or EVgo. I used Leaf Spy information to estimate energy for any charging sessions that did not provide actual measured energy. To give an indication of the difference between the dash display and actual energy from the wall on L2 (using my 30-ampere AeroVironment EVSE) and variation due to differences in driving conditions, here is a summary of the last two charging sessions (about 9-1/2 hours for each charging session):
176.5 miles/57.83 kWh=3.052 mi/kWh from wall with dash display of 3.5 mi/kWh and charging time of 9:34
146.9 miles/57.94 kWh=2.535 mi/kWh from wall with dash display of 2.9 mi/kWh and charging time of 9:35
As noted above, overall average efficiency since purchase is 34,881 miles/12,011.37 kWh=2.904 mi/kWh.

GerryAZ said:
176.5 miles/57.83 kWh=3.052 mi/kWh from wall with dash display of 3.5 mi/kWh and charging time of 9:34
146.9 miles/57.94 kWh=2.535 mi/kWh from wall with dash display of 2.9 mi/kWh and charging time of 9:35
Nice. Sure enough, I see 14%-15% higher dash numbers (from battery to wheels) versus measuring from the wall.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The tires are the stock ecopias at 44psi cold.
Tires have about 7K miles on them.
My impression is that those have pretty low rolling resistance (harder rubber) compared to, say, what I'm using now (Continental ContiProContact). And I'm guessing your tread depth is close to half gone. I expect my numbers to increase somewhat as my tread depth goes down, but I don't put many miles on them, so it could be a while.

One thing I wish the Leaf had is a reading of miles per kWh for JUST the energy sent to the wheels. Of course including all other loads is the 'bottom line', but it makes it more challenging to get repeatable results from experimenting with different wheels/tires/bearings/lubricant (as you've seen).

If I hadn't already bought a nice set of wheels, I'd be tempted to try those EV01+ wheels. Based on your results, they seem quite effective.

Our 2013 S averaged 4.1 winter/summer for 6 years
Our 2022 SV has averaged 3.7 m/KWh winter/summer
Winter is 7200' elevation mountain driving with studless snows
Mostly highway driving

This year is shaping up nicely:
Code:
 Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr    2022
340.4 362.4 345.0 343.0 1,390.8
  4.4   4.7   4.8   4.8   4.669
 77.4  77.1  71.9  71.5   297.9
(Rows are miles, miles/kWh, kWh.)

You can now enter electric data at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
the EPA website.

However I would not trust it. Those crowing about high miles/kWH figures will likely just brag on the EPA site also.

Note I get under 3.00 miles/kWH based on JuiceBox data, for a 2011 Leaf with 35000 miles and a degraded (35 mile range) 8 bar battery.

However I would not trust it. Those crowing about high miles/kWH figures will likely just brag on the EPA site also.

Note I get under 3.00 miles/kWH based on JuiceBox data, for a 2011 Leaf with 35000 miles and a degraded (35 mile range) 8 bar battery.

Not sure what your contention is here- that people post efficiency numbers that they are not actually seeing? or that the car is giving miles/kWh that is higher than what the car actually uses? Does the 8 bar battery not only store less energy but also take more energy to get its charge? I can not imagine ever seeing the car show less than 3.00, usually well above 4 but I have not measured the energy going into my EVSE to verify actual charging useage. If for example, like right now, the car shows between 4.7 and 4.8 over the past month, if the actual were 3.0 the car's meter would be off by over 30% and I would seldom make it home from anywhere.

I just did a run from Chicago to Greenbay and back for a game. I won't bore you with the driving metrics, but rolled in after 213 miles at 10% SoC left on our S+ (90F and humid makes for great efficiency). We charged at the game at L2 and drove home late night.

Before we left an ID4 pulled into charge. Besides being hosed because he was just starting to charge at 9:30pm, also coming from Chicago, he had arrived with 7%. Similar distance. One non scientific data point that the ID4 (2021 AWD) really has effective similar range to the S+. I felt bad for him as he had at least 4 hours of charging before he could hobble back to Milwaukee..likely more. There is 1 ccs in GB at a Ford dealer, but iffy if you could access at 10pm on a Sat night.

No Chademos in GB. The one I
Chademo I tried stopping at in Fon Du Lac was not working when we arrived, thankfully the car had the range to get to GB on a charge in spite of the detour.

dmacarthur said:

Not sure what your contention is here- that people post efficiency numbers that they are not actually seeing? or that the car is giving miles/kWh that is higher than what the car actually uses? Does the 8 bar battery not only store less energy but also take more energy to get its charge? I can not imagine ever seeing the car show less than 3.00, usually well above 4 but I have not measured the energy going into my EVSE to verify actual charging useage. If for example, like right now, the car shows between 4.7 and 4.8 over the past month, if the actual were 3.0 the car's meter would be off by over 30% and I would seldom make it home from anywhere.

The EVSE will report energy pre OBC losses, pre resistance losses in the pack. The post you are replying to is comparing apples to bananas

Measuring from the EVSE gives total energy, including various losses. It may or not be more "accurate" than letting the car measure it, but it represents a greenhouse gas/energy impact more correctly than any other method. Some EVSE's like the JuiceBox can comfortably measure the current going through, and some are "utility grade" measurements for whatever that's worth.

Bought a 2023 S in Oct, less than 500 miles, at 4.7miles/KWh, used for daily commute, 60% highway driving.

Back