Page 1 of 3

Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am
by RickV
I was told by my dealership that the car would only get 46 miles for full charge. Anyone else having a problem with range?

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am
by mwalsh
Depends on many factors. Would be helpful to know where you are geographically.

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:52 am
by Herm
RickV wrote:I was told by my dealership that the car would only get 46 miles for full charge. Anyone else having a problem with range?
Did they tell you this before or after you bought the car?

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:31 pm
by LEAFfan
RickV wrote:I was told by my dealership that the car would only get 46 miles for full charge. Anyone else having a problem with range?
The only way you could only get 46 miles is by blasting the heat, driving freeway speeds, and having very cold temps.

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:26 pm
by Publius
It's been between 3 and 15 degrees lately where I live, which means I've had a crash course in how cold weather, snow-covered roads, and climate control use affect the range of my Leaf. I think it's quite possible that you will only get 46 miles on a full charge, although even in single-digit temperatures I've been able to do better than that. While there are many variables at play, I can say for sure that you're not going to get 73 miles on one charge in the winter if it gets cold where you live.

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm
by dgpcolorado
Publius wrote:It's been between 3 and 15 degrees lately where I live, which means I've had a crash course in how cold weather, snow-covered roads, and climate control use affect the range of my Leaf. I think it's quite possible that you will only get 46 miles on a full charge, although even in single-digit temperatures I've been able to do better than that. While there are many variables at play, I can say for sure that you're not going to get 73 miles on one charge in the winter if it gets cold where you live.
Well, I do. But you are right that "there are many variables at play":

Increases range:
• I don't need to use the cabin heater when pushing the range because I dress warmly in winter, am acclimated to it, and often get help from the sun here in sunny Colorado
• High altitude = reduced air resistance (8000 feet to 5700 feet)
• Some of my driving is at slower speeds, such as 35 mph, and I never exceed 60 mph on the highway, which is the speed limit
• Mostly dry roads, if roads are snowpacked I wouldn't attempt a 70 mile trip
• Car lives in a garage that generally stays above freezing so the battery pack usually doesn't get cold-soaked

Decreases range:
• Cold weather (of course)
• Large elevation changes of about 2300 feet
• Some dirt road driving
• My battery pack is more than a year old and the winter range has decreased somewhat

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 pm
by kubel
LEAFfan wrote:The only way you could only get 46 miles is by blasting the heat, driving freeway speeds, and having very cold temps.
Most of my trip is 45-55MPH, I drive in eco mode, heater is on auto (not blasting, only lukewarm air comes out), and temps are in the teens- I get 45 miles. If I drove on the freeway doing 70MPH, I would probably have 35 miles on a 100% charge. People don't realize how much of an impact cold weather has on the LEAF and how much energy it takes to keep the cabin even 60F.

I just did a test tonight: In eco mode with the heater set to 78F, after over 35 minutes, the temperature in the cabin went from 19F to only 59F. I have never had the car heat the cabin to the desired temperature.

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 am
by TonyWilliams
kubel wrote:I just did a test tonight: In eco mode with the heater set to 78F, after over 35 minutes, the temperature in the cabin went from 19F to only 59F. I have never had the car heat the cabin to the desired temperature.
Your heater sounds suspect. Is it pulling the 4500 - 6000kW according to the gauge?

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:30 am
by planet4ever
TonyWilliams wrote:Your heater sounds suspect. Is it pulling the 4500 - 6000kW according to the gauge?
Six thousand kilowatts??? Slight typo there, Tony. :lol:

But kubel said ECO mode. That limits the heater to 1.5kW.

Re: Range issues

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 am
by Den
planet4ever wrote:

But kubel said ECO mode. That limits the heater to 1.5kW.
There is no such limit. Heater is really using 1 - 1,5kW in ECO mode on moderate cold (-5C ... 0C). E.g. yesterday was -3C and I so heating consumption as on 1kW also on 1,5kW.

Without ECO it will just heat FASTER pushing about 4-5kW in beginning. But then 1- 1,5kW is really enough to keep needed temperature inside. So ECO is just limiting speed of heating, but it is not a problem if car is preheated from socket.

But at -20C it uses 3kW even in ECO mode, and about 2kW at -10C. So there is no such 1,5kW limit.