Replaced Ecopia's with Michelin Defenders

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

Title says it all: I finally got rid of those (crummy) stock tires and replaced them with a good LRR tire with a 90k mile warranty. I wasn't going to make it through my next inspection (or 20k miles), so I "pulled the trigger" while Michelin still had a rebate going. These are expensive tires, but I expect to get MUCH better value out of them than another set of Ecopia's.

Stanton said:
Title says it all: I finally got rid of those (crummy) stock tires and replaced them with a good LRR tire with a 90k mile warranty. I wasn't going to make it through my next inspection (or 20k miles), so I "pulled the trigger" while Michelin still had a rebate going. These are expensive tires, but I expect to get MUCH better value out of them than another set of Ecopia's.

With the Michelin Defenders can you see any difference in the miles/KWH numbers ?

KJD said:
Stanton said:
With the Michelin Defenders can you see any difference in the miles/KWH numbers ?

After a few days of driving, the answer is definitely yes: I'm seeing 10+% WORSE range out of the Defenders (low 4's vs. high 4's). While I expected some (at least temporary) drop in range since the Ecopia's were so worn, I didn't expect this much; at least I can track things in CarWings. The fact is I'm trading some m/kWh for longevity: there was no way I was going to buy another set of tires to only last 20k miles. While I don't expect the Defenders to out-last their warranty, at least you get some credit towards the next set.

I would be interested to hear other's experience with these tires. I have also read they do much better with higher temps AND age--both of which I'll be experiencing in the months to come.

IIRC, the Defenders replaced the Hydroedges, which had the same 90k mile warranty. We had over 95k on our Hydroedges, and you'd be hard pressed to think they had even 35% wear so far. Wear is in large part attributable to driving style. Fast take offs - quick braking - hard turns all add up. We have over 26k on the (crappy) Ecopias and theyre probably 50% worn out. That's attributable to my "old granny" driving style ... and why we're getting 5 miles per kWh @ the wall. Both are benefits of ultra light driving style.

But back to your Defenders. Yes, your kW per mile WILL drop during your break-in period. Report back when you have over 5,000 miles and you'll likely be much more happy with your kW per mile results. Oh and do NOT rely on car wings to figure ANYTHING. It's a joke . . . but no need to go there as tons of threads have already covered that.

Stanton said:
KJD said:
Stanton said:

After a few days of driving, the answer is definitely yes: I'm seeing 10+% WORSE range out of the Defenders (low 4's vs. high 4's). While I expected some (at least temporary) drop in range since the Ecopia's were so worn, I didn't expect this much; at least I can track things in CarWings. The fact is I'm trading some m/kWh for longevity: there was no way I was going to buy another set of tires to only last 20k miles. While I don't expect the Defenders to out-last their warranty, at least you get some credit towards the next set.

I would be interested to hear other's experience with these tires. I have also read they do much better with higher temps AND age--both of which I'll be experiencing in the months to come.

ditto drop in mileage with michelin mxv4s.
and I have had them since October.
break in, shmake in

Interesting. This would make me think that the Defenders are less efficient than the Michelin MXV4s. When I installed them, my efficiency dropped by about 3-4 percent. Now, it is about the same (at 23,000 miles usage) as what it was just before I removed the Ecrapias (at 10,000 miles usage)...

Stanton said:
After a few days of driving, the answer is definitely yes: I'm seeing 10+% WORSE range out of the Defenders (low 4's vs. high 4's). While I expected some (at least temporary) drop in range since the Ecopia's were so worn, I didn't expect this much; at least I can track things in CarWings.

thankyouOB said:
ditto drop in mileage with michelin mxv4s.
and I have had them since October.
break in, shmake in

How many miles do you have on them by now?.. perhaps those long life tires will need a longer break-in

I have about 2500 miles on MXM4's and still have between 5 and 10 percent loss of range (too many variables to give more definitive numbers at this point) from the 50% worn Ecopias. On the plus side, the stiffer sidewalls on the Michelins improve the stability in cross winds and make the over-boosted power steering less noticeable.

Gerry

TomT said:
Interesting. This would make me think that the Defenders are less efficient than the Michelin MXV4s. When I installed them, my efficiency dropped by about 3-4 percent. Now, it is about the same (at 23,000 miles usage) as what it was just before I removed the Ecrapias (at 10,000 miles usage)...

Stanton said:
After a few days of driving, the answer is definitely yes: I'm seeing 10+% WORSE range out of the Defenders (low 4's vs. high 4's). While I expected some (at least temporary) drop in range since the Ecopia's were so worn, I didn't expect this much; at least I can track things in CarWings.

Tom, I have them and there is a significant efficiency hit. Say what you will, they are better tires in many regards but the 0-60 suffers and so does the efficiency in a big way. My range dropped big time. Im sure if you wear enough off they will drop a few pounds:)

How are people toasting tires so fast? At 8000 miles I rotated mine front to rear. The fronts were about .17 to .175 inch at the outside and a little over .19 in the middle. The rears were about .245-.255. Looks like way more than 20,000 mile lifespan to me.

I was tired of the excessive road noise and marginal handling of the Ecopias so I took advantage of a Michelin promotion and generous trade-in allowance to replace them even though I had almost 50% of the tread left at 20,600 miles. I now have 23,100 miles and am very happy with the Michelins even though I took a significant range hit (as noted in my earlier post) and 0-60 time has noticeably increased.

Gerry

I'm already seeing an improvement after a few hundred miles: I'm in the mid-4's now for m/kWh (should be high-4's). The weather has warmed a bit, but that can't be all of it. As for ride/handling: I'm very pleased with the Michelin's. I'll update if/when I see further improvement in range.

Stanton said:

Has anyone gone to smaller tires - 195/65R15 for example? I would expect smaller rims and tires would be lighter,
which might have some advantage. How would handling and braking be affected with a smaller tire? And of course, range.

Put Michelin Defenders on this morning after putting 35000 on the Ecopias. Have been getting mid to low 4s in efficiency (4.2 to 4.5 mi/KWhr) on the wore Ecopias. I'll see how the Defenders perform in about 4000 to 5000 miles. The tire dealer indicated that they definitely need to be broken in before checking the efficiency. ;)

Well my Ecopia's lasted 25K so I just switched to Michelin Defenders and noticed a 10% range hit. I'm not sure I want to life with that, I had been told that the Defenders had lower rolling resistance. 90K miles and lower rolling resistance seemed to be too good to be true - and it was!
I would be happy getting 40-50K out of a set of tires. I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.
Has anyone tried any tires that have a better compromise of range/life?
Thanks
Chris

Defenders have proven to hurt MPGs on the Prius so we always recommend the Energy Saver A/S as a replacement for anyone that complains about reduced range with the defenders.

Ironically the range people complain about with the defenders on the Prius forum is getting less than 500 miles to a tank but the same concept applies to the Leaf, just a different unit of measurement.

I do wonder what 15" rims would work with the Leaf and what RPM is needed to keep the speedometer accurate. F8L has documented MPG losses when switching from 15" tires to 17 tires on the same commute.

zeroco2 said:
Well my Ecopia's lasted 25K so I just switched to Michelin Defenders and noticed a 10% range hit. I'm not sure I want to life with that, I had been told that the Defenders had lower rolling resistance. 90K miles and lower rolling resistance seemed to be too good to be true - and it was!
I would be happy getting 40-50K out of a set of tires. I seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.

Evidence shows that "10% range hit" should come down a bit. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a middle ground: you can either get something like the Ecopia's that just don't last or take a 5-10% range hit (and not buy tires every 2 years). I may be one of the highest mileage Defender guys out there, and I still don't have 5k miles on mine (and my m/kWh has started to improve).

Herm said:
thankyouOB" ditto drop in mileage with michelin mxv4s. and I have had them since October. break in said:
How many miles do you have on them by now?.. perhaps those long life tires will need a longer break-in

bought at 17k, now around 28k.
i think they are broken in.
i still am down about 10%, though some of that could be battery aging.

dhanson865 said:
I do wonder what 15" rims would work with the Leaf and what RPM is needed to keep the speedometer accurate. F8L has documented MPG losses when switching from 15" tires to 17 tires on the same commute.
The biggest issue with 15" wheels is finding some that will clear the front brakes. As it is, many 16" wheels don't clear the front brakes.

If you do find some 15" wheels that clear the front brakes, the two tire sizes that are closest to the stock diameter are 195/65/15 (0.5% larger than stock) and 205/60/15 (0.8% smaller than stock). 195/65/15 is a very common size and being slightly narrower and taller should be more efficient as well, so I would opt for that if I were going that route. Note that handling will suffer in comparison to the stock tire size - the sidewall is quite a bit taller.

If looking for 15" wheels, your best bet would be dirt rally style wheels as they often are designed for maximum brake clearance.

Example: Team Dynamics Pro Rally Wheels 15x6 e40 5x114.3

Would love to try to test fit some of those...

thankyouOB said:
i still am down about 10%, though some of that could be battery aging.

You can't compare absolute range, you have to compare something like "m/kWh".
Doesn't matter if you use CarWings or calculate it yourself, just so long it's a consistent comparison.
Based on "m/kWh", I'm down closer to 6% after ~3000 miles.

Back