lion
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 am

Only time I use brakes is to come to a complete stop, otherwise, B does the job.

That said, I would love much more regen, but from what I have heard so far, the regen in the 2013 is the same as in the 2011/2012 in ECO mode, they just separated the functions (so you can use B mode without having to activate Prius/ECO mode).

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14695
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:17 pm

JPWhite wrote:
dgpcolorado wrote: To me that's a big deal and a frustration with my 2012 model LEAF, which lacks B mode. For flatlanders it is irrelevant.
I test drove a 2013 LEAF recently and was spectacularly unimpressed with the B mode in the LEAF. It is still quite insipid. Having experienced the B mode in the Misubishi I-Miev I do have a frame of reference. Shame Nissan couldn't come closer to how Mitsubishi implemented their 'B mode'. With the Mitsubishi single pedal driving is very easy, with the LEAF, you still need the brakes more than I'd like.
but B mode is still better than Eco in the 2011/12's right? so its progress...i prefer a much heavier regen as well as i feel that moderating regen with "one pedal" driving is an easy thing to get used to...
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 7059.6 mi, 95.35% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
JPWhite
Gold Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734
Location: Hendersonville TN
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
JPWhite wrote:
dgpcolorado wrote: To me that's a big deal and a frustration with my 2012 model LEAF, which lacks B mode. For flatlanders it is irrelevant.
I test drove a 2013 LEAF recently and was spectacularly unimpressed with the B mode in the LEAF. It is still quite insipid. Having experienced the B mode in the Misubishi I-Miev I do have a frame of reference. Shame Nissan couldn't come closer to how Mitsubishi implemented their 'B mode'. With the Mitsubishi single pedal driving is very easy, with the LEAF, you still need the brakes more than I'd like.
but B mode is still better than Eco in the 2011/12's right? so its progress...i prefer a much heavier regen as well as i feel that moderating regen with "one pedal" driving is an easy thing to get used to...
Yes progress is progress. Now the car has three drive modes, one can assume a software update could adjust the characteristics and performance of those features should Nissan decide to change them :-)
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
2011 Blue SL-e, 132,400 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)
2018 Model 3 20,000 Miles.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 pm

I think it is at least partially limited by the maximum power that Nissan feels the battery can accept in regen... With a much larger pack, the Telsa can handle much more regen, for example.
lion wrote:That said, I would love much more regen, but from what I have heard so far, the regen in the 2013 is the same as in the 2011/2012 in ECO mode, they just separated the functions (so you can use B mode without having to activate Prius/ECO mode).
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6753
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:44 pm

TomT wrote:I think it is at least partially limited by the maximum power that Nissan feels the battery can accept in regen... With a much larger pack, the Telsa can handle much more regen, for example.
lion wrote:That said, I would love much more regen, but from what I have heard so far, the regen in the 2013 is the same as in the 2011/2012 in ECO mode, they just separated the functions (so you can use B mode without having to activate Prius/ECO mode).

The regen is presently not pack restricted. All of this can be regulated in real time.

User avatar
JPWhite
Gold Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734
Location: Hendersonville TN
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 pm

TomT wrote:I think it is at least partially limited by the maximum power that Nissan feels the battery can accept in regen... With a much larger pack, the Telsa can handle much more regen, for example.
In isolation that makes sense. How come the i-Miev can have more aggressive B mode regen with a 16kWh pack?

Maybe they are less concerned about the impact on the pack (cavalier), or the pack can take it (better tech). Or both.
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
2011 Blue SL-e, 132,400 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)
2018 Model 3 20,000 Miles.

lion
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:48 pm

TomT wrote:I think it is at least partially limited by the maximum power that Nissan feels the battery can accept in regen... With a much larger pack, the Telsa can handle much more regen, for example.
lion wrote:That said, I would love much more regen, but from what I have heard so far, the regen in the 2013 is the same as in the 2011/2012 in ECO mode, they just separated the functions (so you can use B mode without having to activate Prius/ECO mode).
If the battery can accept a charge via CHAdeMO, shouldn't it be able to take more than 30kWh? I'd assume that the limitation is because of the rpm/gearing as others mentioned.

Klayfish
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2013
Location: East Greenville PA

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 pm

A lot of this is going over my head, so forgive me. My commute is 25 miles one way, mostly flat roads, very few traffic lights and light traffic. I stop once in a while (the last 2 miles for instance have several lights), but mostly cruise 40-55mph. I may not have to stop for 15-17 miles if I hit the few traffic lights just right. But I will slow/speed up between 40-55 depending on the few cars on the road. In that case, am I better off in ECO or B mode?
2013 LEAF SL - took delivery 7/31/2013. Ocean Blue

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Klayfish wrote:A lot of this is going over my head, so forgive me. My commute is 25 miles one way, mostly flat roads, very few traffic lights and light traffic. I stop once in a while (the last 2 miles for instance have several lights), but mostly cruise 40-55mph. I may not have to stop for 15-17 miles if I hit the few traffic lights just right. But I will slow/speed up between 40-55 depending on the few cars on the road. In that case, am I better off in ECO or B mode?
The mode likely won't make much difference for your described route; depends on how you drive not what mode you are in. And, to that point, trying to max out regen isn't nearly as efficient as just driving gently, unless you really need to slow down quickly.

The exception is that in Eco the power to the climate control system should be limited (it is on 2011/2012 models, I presume that is the same for 2013 models). That might save a bit of power under some circumstances, at the cost of reduced heating speed. But that's pretty small stuff compared to how one drives in general.

How about this:

coasting > regen > friction brakes
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14695
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Klayfish wrote:A lot of this is going over my head, so forgive me. My commute is 25 miles one way, mostly flat roads, very few traffic lights and light traffic. I stop once in a while (the last 2 miles for instance have several lights), but mostly cruise 40-55mph. I may not have to stop for 15-17 miles if I hit the few traffic lights just right. But I will slow/speed up between 40-55 depending on the few cars on the road. In that case, am I better off in ECO or B mode?
i would say B mode but its really up to your comfort level. B mode allows more regen in case you have to stop faster than anticipated and your speed can still be regulated pretty effectively with one pedal driving when anticipation of traffic speeds is easier.

in the grand scheme of things, you dont want to regen or burn power. the prime objective is to keep power usage at zero as much as possible. So using power or regen is inevitable but the closer you keep it to zero the better.

here, there are plenty of hills so i take advantage by letting my speed bleed off a bit just before the downhill or building up speed slightly just before the accent.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 7059.6 mi, 95.35% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”