Canuck
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2012

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks alozzy for your work on this. Please keep us posted.

medtech1
Delivery Date: 21 Jul 2016

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:44 pm

yes.. Thank you Alozzy for all your work!

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the kudos :D

BTW, no followup by phone from the Nissan EV tech support manager (despite his personal promise to do so) and I still can't accept the EV service agreement so no Carwings. Those 2 hours on the phone with Nissan were unfortunately a total waste of my time.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

stonymtnleaf
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Installed my new 3G TCU module (ordered online from TX) the other day. It's a simple enough DIY, remove 8 screws out to take out the glove box, two screws to remove the TCU mounting tray, and then 4 Torx screws to change out the TCU. Connect three coded connectors and reassemble. About 30 mins. I did pull the 12v neg terminal for 'insurance'.

Powered up and the thing seems to be working. About 3-5 bars signal strength showing. The new SIM ID shows on the "Settings - Unit ID" screen but the VIN (previously visible) is now starred out and reduced to four characters.

Had a bit of discussion with Nissan connect to get them to wipe the old TCU from their system and pair the new TCU ID with my VIN. Been pending (with a case number) for a few days now.

Today I tried deleting the vehicle and re-installing it in NissanConnect but it would not take the VIN to re-register. An online chat session got it back in but I am unable to update the vehicle info/prefs and cannot "accept" the liscence agreement.

There things sit ....

Cheers Jim
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

medtech1

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Hey Jim, this was the US Nissan Connect?

If so, this seems to be an issue on their side, as they should almost treat you like you're in the US with the new TCU?

Also, was there a part that a Nissan Service centre has to do?

I am glad we finally have someone who has gone this far with getting the TCU!

Definitely anxious to hear how this goes.

alozzy

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:17 pm

FYI, received this email from Nissan today in response to the email I sent last week (which I posted earlier in this thread):
Dear Alan,

Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support. We appreciate hearing from you.

I apologize for your issues with CARWINGS. To better assist you it would be best if you contact us directly. You can do so by phone at 877-664-2738, option 6. We are here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (EST) Monday through Saturday.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions, through our website at www.nissanusa.com or by phone at 877-664-2738. We are here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (EST) Monday through Saturday.

Sincerely,

Ashley
Vehicle Connected Services
Nissan North America, Inc.
I replied as follows:
Hi Ashley,

I already called that number and tried to explain that, being a Canadian owner with a US car, the situation with AT&T eliminating their 2G service isn't relevant. I was told that I needed to have the TCU in my car upgraded to a newer 3G capable unit. However, in either case, the TCU would in fact connect to Rogers network in Canada, not to AT&T. Because of that, whether the connection is 2G or 3G shouldn’t matter.

The only remaining hurdle for me to use NissanConnect is to have a Nissan rep setup my account so that I can accept the " NissanConnect EV Consent" and the "NissanConnect EV Subscription Agreement". Right now, if I try to accept those agreements, I receive this message:

"We were unable to complete your request. Please contact EV Customer Support at..."

Asking me to call the same number you mentioned - which I already did. As mentioned, when I called that number I was told by a Nissan rep that I need to upgrade my TCU despite having explained to her that doing so won't help me when the vehicle is located in Canada. I even had her escalate the call to a manager, who promised to look into it for me and to call me back - he has done neither.

Further evidence that upgrading the TCU isn't going to help me get this working is mentioned here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 37#p484337

Depsite having upgraded his TCU, that owner is unable to use NissanConnect because he is unable to get past the requirement to accept the agreements - exactly where I'm stuck.

Please have a manager call me, as I've spent several hours already with front line Nissan reps who frankly don't understand the problem.
Will keep everyone in the loop if this gets me anywhere...
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch

medtech1

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:26 pm

I wonder if it would help to get a list of names/addresses of us who want this resolved. This list could have more "clout".

If you're on the facebook group perhaps we could gather a list?

alozzy

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Yeah, maybe worth a shot. Having said that, it seems like no one on that group has taken any action lately - they all seem to have given up in frustration. As far as I can tell, no Canadian has followed Nissan's advice to upgrade the TCU and actually ended up with Carwings working again in Canada.
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch

medtech1

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Alozzy: you're correct. It is still a bit early (since the inability to re-accept the agreement - which worked for me until last week) and I think some are still weighing options.

And yes, some did "appear to give up" in some frustration, but, I wouldn't exclude them out from still having some further interest in helping out.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 pm

stonymtnleaf wrote:Installed my new 3G TCU module (ordered online from TX) the other day. It's a simple enough DIY, remove 8 screws out to take out the glove box, two screws to remove the TCU mounting tray, and then 4 Torx screws to change out the TCU. Connect three coded connectors and reassemble. About 30 mins. I did pull the 12v neg terminal for 'insurance'.

Powered up and the thing seems to be working. About 3-5 bars signal strength showing. The new SIM ID shows on the "Settings - Unit ID" screen but the VIN (previously visible) is now starred out and reduced to four characters.

Had a bit of discussion with Nissan connect to get them to wipe the old TCU from their system and pair the new TCU ID with my VIN. Been pending (with a case number) for a few days now.

Today I tried deleting the vehicle and re-installing it in NissanConnect but it would not take the VIN to re-register. An online chat session got it back in but I am unable to update the vehicle info/prefs and cannot "accept" the liscence agreement.

There things sit ....

Cheers Jim
Go to the Service Department at your local dealer and ask them to locate Campaign Bulletin PC449 dated 17 November 2016. It has the instructions for activating the new TCU. This is not a DIY project, and you will need a dealer assist to get it working. The missing VIN on the Unit ID screen is an indicator that the installation steps were not properly completed. In addition, they will need the IMEI number off of the old TCU to complete the registration process. If the PC449 Bulletin is not available to your dealer, you will need to find a dealer (likely in the US) that has access to it and can complete the process for you.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”