sproqitman
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0196
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

ttoshi wrote:I live on top of a hill and am curious how much juice we will need to consume to get home. At the end of my trip I will need to climb about 1000 ft in 2 miles. Has anyone climbed roughly 1000 ft in elevation and how much energy did that require?
We're in the same situation, (are we neighbors?) We've been using approximately one blue segment to make it up our hill, figure 2 kWh. As long as we have at least two blue segments at the bottom, I have no worries about making it home. Daily running around has been averaging 30-35 miles, usually with two trips up the hill. We charge to 80% and use ECO on the way down for max regen. I can usually get 20 kW of regen going down the hill, holding steady at 40-45 MPH. Energy consumption on the way up is 35-40 kW, so we're getting roughly 50% of the energy back.

User avatar
abasile
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Achieving regen at the rate of 20-30 kW seems pretty good. For comparison, regen on the Gen II Prius maxes out at 20 kW, and the Gen III Prius rate is likely a bit higher. Given "room" in the battery and a long mountain descent (say 5000'), it seems that 20-30 kW should generally be sustainable without overheating the battery, as that's a lower charge rate than a DC Fast Charge. I wonder who's going to be first to try this. ;-) Getting up a mountain would of course be the prerequisite... :lol:

Stoaty
Posts: 4488
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:32 pm

sproqitman wrote:We charge to 80% and use ECO on the way down for max regen. I can usually get 20 kW of regen going down the hill, holding steady at 40-45 MPH. Energy consumption on the way up is 35-40 kW, so we're getting roughly 50% of the energy back.
Are you going the same speed (40-45 MPH) on the way up? Otherwise, it will take a longer time and you are using more than twice as much energy going up than going down. I am surprised to hear a figure of 50%, as I thought about 30% was all you would get from the regen. I assume there is a KW reading somewhere on the dashboard (haven't followed that part)?
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Stoaty
Posts: 4488
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:38 pm

abasile wrote:Achieving regen at the rate of 20-30 kW seems pretty good. For comparison, regen on the Gen II Prius maxes out at 20 kW, and the Gen III Prius rate is likely a bit higher. Given "room" in the battery and a long mountain descent (say 5000'), it seems that 20-30 kW should generally be sustainable without overheating the battery, as that's a lower charge rate than a DC Fast Charge.
Yes, the problem with the Prius is that the battery is so small it fills up from 3/4 full to completely full in about 2 minutes of steep downhill. We take my brother's Gen 3 Prius up Mt. Baldy almost every weekend, and end up using the extra energy to run the AC at full blast if it is hot outside, since it will go to waste anyway. I would love to see how the Leaf does going up Baldy and back.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

User avatar
abasile
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Stoaty wrote:Yes, the problem with the Prius is that the battery is so small it fills up from 3/4 full to completely full in about 2 minutes of steep downhill.
In the Prius, the key is to use "stealth" EV mode (or full-on EV mode) to run down the battery as much as possible before descending. If I do that in our Gen 3, I can descend up to 1000' in elevation on curvy mountain roads (not as steep as Mt. Baldy Rd., which I know well) before the battery fills. Mt. Baldy Rd. would be an awesome test for the LEAF!

Stoaty
Posts: 4488
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 pm

abasile wrote:In the Prius, the key is to use "stealth" EV mode (or full-on EV mode) to run down the battery as much as possible before descending. If I do that in our Gen 3, I can descend up to 1000' in elevation on curvy mountain roads (not as steep as Mt. Baldy Rd., which I know well) before the battery fills.
What is "stealth" EV mode for the Prius and how do I invoke it?
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

sproqitman
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0196
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Stoaty wrote:Are you going the same speed (40-45 MPH) on the way up? Otherwise, it will take a longer time and you are using more than twice as much energy going up than going down. I am surprised to hear a figure of 50%, as I thought about 30% was all you would get from the regen. I assume there is a KW reading somewhere on the dashboard (haven't followed that part)?
Going roughly the same speed both directions. I'm using the Energy Display in the nav system. It's far from exact, since it doesn't have a numeric readout. I'm estimating based on the position of the "needle".

User avatar
abasile
Posts: 1922
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Location: Arrowbear Lake, CA

Re: Hill consumption?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Stoaty wrote:What is "stealth" EV mode for the Prius and how do I invoke it?
Roughly speaking, a Prius is in "stealth" when the gas engine (ICE) is off and all propulsion is coming from electricity, even if you haven't selected "EV Mode". Go into ECO Mode and stay to the left of center in the hybrid system "bar" display. There's *much* more info on PriusChat, i.e., http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-201 ... lth-1.html.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”