Energy consumption metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alozzy

Just curious if anyone has a definitive answer on the energy efficiency calculation discrepancy between the dash metric and the one available in the Zero Emmissions (blue button) LCD infotainment panel on SV/SL trims.

They tend to converge over time, but I have noticed that, after resetting both at the same time, they can show quite different results over the first few days. Don't really care, but it's such an odd thing and a bit of a mystery to me why Nissan chose to have two different displays for what should be the same thing...

My guess is that they determined a range of efficiency losses under different conditions, and that the GOM-related estimate is 'optimistic' on those losses, while the Nav estimate is pessimistic in order to give a better, safer range estimate for trips. Using the Nav's more pessimistic range estimator is much more accurate for most people when driving, so I'd say that the efficiency estimate it uses is also more accurate in typical driving.

If you are referring to the miles(or km)/kWh displays, they should be close. I reset the one in the dash after each charge to give daily efficiency and reset the one on the NAV screen the first charge of each month to give monthly average. They show the same reading at the end of the first day and are usually within 0.2 mi/kWh at the end of each day throughout the month because my usage is consistent.

@GerryAZ Agreed, they provide really similar values and quickly converge, which is why I hesitated to even bother starting this post. I just find it odd that Nissan provided duplication of the same metric, but I guess it was cheaper/easier to keep the existing S trim metric on the dash and then provide a fancier metric of the same thing within the infotainment system on SV and SL trims.

The UI in general is odd, so I guess it's hardly surprising ;)

Back