Page 3 of 4

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am
by LeeZ
Linus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:51 am
I have a similar experience with my 2016. I called Nissan yesterday and the lady was very helpful. We setup a US account, everything works except getting the car to connect (like everyone else's experience above). What the lady from Nissan said is I have to be in the USA to get the original connection, I believe from there that their system will see it as a US car traveling in Canada.

I am fortunate that I live outside of Vancouver and travel to Washington regularly (well I used to as gas is up to 40% cheaper there). I'm hoping to go down in the next week or so and see if it works.

For those that live near the border if it works, it is an easy workaround.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test it.

I look forward to what you find out. I'm thinking that once the initial connection is made you will be good.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am
by Linus
Well, I went to Washington. I was able to successfully get the car connected. Had to try 3 times but on the third try it connected and updated a bunch of stuff.

I was very disappointed that after returning to Canada, the connection dropped and it doesn't work.

Not sure what to try next.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 am
by LeeZ
Linus wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am
Well, I went to Washington. I was able to successfully get the car connected. Had to try 3 times but on the third try it connected and updated a bunch of stuff.

I was very disappointed that after returning to Canada, the connection dropped and it doesn't work.

Not sure what to try next.
So it sounds like they have shut down roaming then.

It would be nice if the car could connect to wifi. If it's sitting in my driveway I should be able to access the car through my homes wireless router.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm
by michelb
Has anyone found a solution for US 2016 Leaf NissanConnect in Canada? I'm upgrading from a US 2015 Leaf which had a working NissanConnect so I was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't work with the 2016s.

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:17 pm
by Linus
michelb wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm
Has anyone found a solution for US 2016 Leaf NissanConnect in Canada? I'm upgrading from a US 2015 Leaf which had a working NissanConnect so I was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't work with the 2016s.

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike
Nope, Nissan has been useless to the point that I will never buy another one of their cars new or used.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:23 pm
by michelb
Linus wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:17 pm
michelb wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm
Has anyone found a solution for US 2016 Leaf NissanConnect in Canada? I'm upgrading from a US 2015 Leaf which had a working NissanConnect so I was quite disappointed to find out that it doesn't work with the 2016s.

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike
Nope, Nissan has been useless to the point that I will never buy another one of their cars new or used.
Funny you should say that because that's how I feel right now !!!

It's not a huge deal but I like having access to the app (particularly in the winter when I use the remove climate control pretty much every day!)

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 pm
by alozzy
If you leave at around the same time everyday, the climate control timer is very reliable.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:43 pm
by michelb
alozzy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 pm
If you leave at around the same time everyday, the climate control timer is very reliable.
I use that as well but it's not nearly the same (e.g. if it's -20C and I want to go somewhere in the evening, having the timer set for 7:00AM doesn't help me).

We also have use the charge timer (we have time-of-use rates so typically only charge off-peak but if I know I need to use the car outside my "regular hours", I might use the app to turn on charging. I also use the app when charging in public to know when I'm almost full and I can move my car.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm
by cwerdna
LeeZ wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 am
Linus wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am
Well, I went to Washington. I was able to successfully get the car connected. Had to try 3 times but on the third try it connected and updated a bunch of stuff.

I was very disappointed that after returning to Canada, the connection dropped and it doesn't work.

Not sure what to try next.
So it sounds like they have shut down roaming then.

It would be nice if the car could connect to wifi. If it's sitting in my driveway I should be able to access the car through my homes wireless router.
I guess a solution would be to get to try to get a SIM that's compatible w/the TCU and swap it out. Not sure if one might need to change settings on the head unit (like an APN) to go w/the carrier.

Re: Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:09 pm
by michelb
cwerdna wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm
LeeZ wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 am
Linus wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am
Well, I went to Washington. I was able to successfully get the car connected. Had to try 3 times but on the third try it connected and updated a bunch of stuff.

I was very disappointed that after returning to Canada, the connection dropped and it doesn't work.

Not sure what to try next.
So it sounds like they have shut down roaming then.

It would be nice if the car could connect to wifi. If it's sitting in my driveway I should be able to access the car through my homes wireless router.
I guess a solution would be to get to try to get a SIM that's compatible w/the TCU and swap it out. Not sure if one might need to change settings on the head unit (like an APN) to go w/the carrier.
I've asked and I was told this was not possible (which I'm a bit skeptical about). Nissan Customer Service told me that there is no way to get NissanConnect on a US Leaf in Canada (although the first one Customer Service told me it wasn't possible because I only had a 2G TCU which is not correct so I tend to take what they say with a grain of salt).