Is it thought to be good/bad/neither to occasionally deep discharge the battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcon

Is it a good idea to occasionally deeply discharge the battery? Or, is it bad and to be avoided? Or, doesn't matter?

I've had my 2018 Leaf about 7 months, and i think maybe just twice did i get to below 15%. Once was a few days ago, so i was just thinking about it. I could try to get it that low more often, but of course it is inconvenient.

Thanks for any opinions on this.

tomcon said:
Is it a good idea to occasionally deeply discharge the battery? Or, is it bad and to be avoided? Or, doesn't matter?

I've had my 2018 Leaf about 7 months, and i think maybe just twice did i get to below 15%. Once was a few days ago, so i was just thinking about it. I could try to get it that low more often, but of course it is inconvenient.

It is not good for the battery, but it isn't significantly bad for it either, if it's recharged immediately. What it does do, as with a cell phone, is calibrate the battery management system so it better "knows" the exact state of charge.

LeftieBiker said:
tomcon said:

It is not good for the battery, but it isn't significantly bad for it either, if it's recharged immediately. What it does do, as with a cell phone, is calibrate the battery management system so it better "knows" the exact state of charge.
^^^ this :)
I'm not sure I'd schedule it but maybe getting slightly below 10% a couple times/year might be good.

I wouldn't intentionally "turtle" the car, but I do occasionally run it down to VLBW. Usually it's just a consequence of an extended-range drive. But if it has been a long while I'll arrange to do it on purpose, for the calibration benefit.

Back