Is a battery test worthwhile for a 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrals

I bought a 2012 Leaf SL with 9 bars. It has 50K miles and is from TN and then IL. Even after fully charging the car with L1 or L2 charger the car never shows more than 92% SOC in Leaf spy. GOM shows 60 miles and I get 0 regen for the first couple miles and then 1-2 regens when I brake. Interestingly leaf spy shows only 12 L1/L2 charges. SOH is about 68%. I was wondering if I take the car to Nissan, how comprehensive is their battery test. Will they check if the battery is not fully charging? What if the battery is losing charge just while sitting? I bought the car knowing the limitation and do not plan to drive the car over 30 miles on any given day.

I do believe the guarantee in the car is gone, so the dealer will just try to rip you off, the battery check will do nothing, I do have a 2012 nissan leaf and I have the same 9 bars left, there is not point for battery test, as long as the car works for you daily driving I would just keep driving it, mine unfortunately has to be sold, taxes on it for being an electric car are too high not worth it no more.

mitrals said:
Thanks guys. I guess all Nissan does is plug a tool check health and call it a day?

They get useful information, but the printout they give you (and that's ALL you get from them) just has 5 (?) categories with a 1-5 asterisk rating for each one. Things like "accessory usage" and "quick charging behavior." Most people get 5 stars even with a degraded battery, some get a few fours. It's useless unless you get really low ratings for really awful treatment of the pack.

Back