goldbrick
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:27 pm

While kWh and kW look very similar and are easy to confuse, they are entirely different things. Mixing them up is like mixing up the difference between 60mph (velocity) and 60 miles (distance). If someone said the distance from one city to another was 60 mph it would be confusing. In this case - as in kW/kWh - it is often possible to understand the intent from the context but being correct certainly makes everything easier.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm

umdkevin wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:09 am
cwerdna wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am
You mean kW?
Why you always grilling folks posts over one letter? No, I meant kWh as per Nissan's posted marketing.

Image
Are you always this defensive when your errors are pointed out to you? Supposedly the purpose of this forum is to gather, learn and advise. You need to brush up on that "learning" part.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

powersurge
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm

umdkevin wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:09 am
cwerdna wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am
You mean kW?
Why you always grilling folks posts over one letter? No, I meant kWh as per Nissan's posted marketing.

Image
I agree with the writer's point. It is frustrating and annoying when someone who they do not know corrects the spelling or grammar of an internet post. Not everyone is knowledgeable in techo-speak, and unsolicited corrections may not be welcome....

Just as someone making unsolicited corrections of my grammar will be usin' plain ol' unfriendly-like manners...

Many people use this type of forum for friendly conversation, and will learn as much as they want, or as little as they want. They may not be interested in learning the proper scientific terms at all... I really suggest that people not correct other's posts for at least the two biggies.. (The terms of "Charger"/ "EVSE", and "KWH"/ "KW")...

cwerdna
Posts: 9664
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:27 pm

goldbrick wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:27 pm
While kWh and kW look very similar and are easy to confuse, they are entirely different things. Mixing them up is like mixing up the difference between 60mph (velocity) and 60 miles (distance). If someone said the distance from one city to another was 60 mph it would be confusing. In this case - as in kW/kWh - it is often possible to understand the intent from the context but being correct certainly makes everything easier.
Yep. Umdkevin, please see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lyqrgQJFk.

In the post I quoted at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-2470307, that guy didn't know what he was talking about and apparently deleted his post.
From K-MTG in 2017:
I can confirm that the chademo adapter works on the 3. One of my friends related to a Tesla employee got his and was able to test this...got up to 50 kwh.
My reply was:
Do you mean a charge rate of up to 50 kW was achieved or that 50 kWh was dispensed from the CHAdeMO charger?

What the heck did he mean? He never answered and was WAY wrong, as well. Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter didn't work with the Model 3 for years. It only started working w/a firmware update in July 2019 (https://electrek.co/2019/07/09/tesla-ch ... -networks/).

The units matter, esp. given we're talking about charging (e.g. power level (kW) vs. energy dispensed (kWh)). If you don't understand the difference, please take some time to learn it.
powersurge wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm
Many people use this type of forum for friendly conversation, and will learn as much as they want, or as little as they want. They may not be interested in learning the proper scientific terms at all... I really suggest that people not correct other's posts for at least the two biggies.. (The terms of "Charger"/ "EVSE", and "KWH"/ "KW")...
Why? You're suggesting people be ignorant?

I'm for people passing along correct information. If we're going to be discussing these topics (e.g. charging, power levels, energy dispensed, chargers, EVSEs, etc.), let's get the units right! See the confusion the above guy's example caused?

People getting it wrong over and over only causes further confusion, esp. for EV newbies.
Last edited by cwerdna on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Anyway now that we got this cleared up, I was talking to a LEAFer while charging yesterday and he was complaining about the length of the EA cables and wished he had his charge port in the nose like the Chevy Bolt did...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Posts: 9664
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:40 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Anyway now that we got this cleared up, I was talking to a LEAFer while charging yesterday and he was complaining about the length of the EA cables and wished he had his charge port in the nose like the Chevy Bolt did...
Do you mean the Leaf driver wished his Bolt had the inlet in the nose?

Here's another examples of lunacy due to the use of wrong units. The OP of https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ing.84297/ (Reeler) didn't know WTF he was talking about, it seems. Folks were getting really annoyed:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1919868
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921011
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921490
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921501
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921518
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921775

This is in response to battery sizes (in kWh) and different pricing tiers depending on charge rate (in kW): https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging (excerpt below). I don't know if he's normally this ignorant or if he was just trolling people.
Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.

When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 am

cwerdna wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:40 pm
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Anyway now that we got this cleared up, I was talking to a LEAFer while charging yesterday and he was complaining about the length of the EA cables and wished he had his charge port in the nose like the Chevy Bolt did...
Do you mean the Leaf driver wished his Bolt had the inlet in the nose?

Here's another examples of lunacy due to the use of wrong units. The OP of https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ing.84297/ (Reeler) didn't know WTF he was talking about, it seems. Folks were getting really annoyed:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1919868
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921011
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921490
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921501
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921518
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1921775

This is in response to battery sizes (in kWh) and different pricing tiers depending on charge rate (in kW): https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging (excerpt below). I don't know if he's normally this ignorant or if he was just trolling people.
Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.

When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.
Ahhh...too bad it wasn't someone else who responded. This is an example of something EVers would understand but would completely confuse new people. It is no different than the kw/kwh issue which only a handful of us seems to think is important.

But anyway.

I was able to use the EVGO DuPont WA station essentially before it was opened and the contractor who put in the stations said the stations were wired for 100 KW because they were to be upgraded in the near future. He had no details on time lines but another rep from EVGO was also there and said "within a year" so....
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Randy
Moderator
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 am

Interesting since "Reeler" was the username here of the first guy in San Diego chosen by Nissan to receive the first LEAF in December 2010 at the Nissan Design Center party they hosted for all of the local LEAF reservation holders.

I believe he did eventually move to Colorado, so it sure looks like the same guy. With that much EV experience over the years, you'd think he'd be a wiz with the units...

cwerdna
Posts: 9664
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Randy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 am
Interesting since "Reeler" was the username here of the first guy in San Diego chosen by Nissan to receive the first LEAF in December 2010 at the Nissan Design Center party they hosted for all of the local LEAF reservation holders.

I believe he did eventually move to Colorado, so it sure looks like the same guy. With that much EV experience over the years, you'd think he'd be a wiz with the units...
:shock:

Holy crap. Might be the same guy judging by these:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1954754
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1847004
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1663601
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-1557779
:( :roll: Sigh...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: 100 KW Chademo - More and More coming online

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 am

Gas stations of the future. Look EA two Chademo handles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carsuk ... oints/amp/
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”