Watts / Mile

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

I like that the connect app shows you your watts per mile. Does that display anywhere on the dash menus? (Watts per mile being a bit more exact then the one decimal miles/kWh). I haven’t found it yet.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I like that the connect app shows you your watts per mile. Does that display anywhere on the dash menus? (Watts per mile being a bit more exact then the one decimal miles/kWh). I haven’t found it yet.

But, is the watt-hours per mile calculation really any more accurate than the miles per kWH one? If it's using the same internal numbers, maybe not. You *might* get a little better accuracy by changing your units to kilometers but that's just a guess.

Nubo said:
But, is the watt-hours per mile calculation really any more accurate than the miles per kWH one? If it's using the same internal numbers, maybe not. You *might* get a little better accuracy by changing your units to kilometers but that's just a guess.
The display is a lot more precise when showing Wh/mile

miles/kWh is in the 1 part per ~ 1:80 range, or up to 1.25% imprecise
Wh/mile is in the 1 part per ~ 500 range, or up to 0.002% imprecise

Clear ? If not think about it this way:
A reading of 4 miles/mile is actually somewhere in the range of 3.95 to 4.05 miles per kWh
A reading of 250 Wh/mile is actually somewhere in the range of 249.5 to 250.5 Wh/mile

You can argue whether the measurement has enough precision to make the display matter that that is a different question.

SageBrush said:
Nubo said:

A reading of 4 miles/mile is actually somewhere in the range of 3.95 to 4.05 miles per kWh
A reading of 250 Wh/mile is actually somewhere in the range of 249.5 to 250.5 Wh/mile

You can argue whether the measurement has enough precision to make the display matter that that is a different question.

I'm acquainted with mathematical precision. It's the internal calculation that matters as well as the precision of measurement. You can't determine precision from the friendly numbers on the display unless you know how they were derived.

Nubo said:
SageBrush said:
Nubo said:

I'm acquainted with mathematical precision. It's the internal calculation that matters as well as the precision of measurement. You can't determine precision from the friendly numbers on the display unless you know how they were derived.
The same internal number is used, and displayed with ~ 6x more precision.

SageBrush said:
Nubo said:
SageBrush said:

The same internal number is used, and displayed with ~ 6x more precision.

If you know for a fact, which values are loaded into the computer's registers for the calculation and the number of significant digits for each, then ok. I don't.

Back