India and Israel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

In looking at plugshare for India and Israel, it was interesting to see that they have both J1772 and Mienkes level 2 chargers in country.

Israel I kind of understand as they get cars imported from both the US and Europe. India was a surprise to see the number of J1772 chargers, thought they would lean towards the European standard.

A number of car channels are showing off the Leaf driving on Indian roads, so will be interesting to see how much demand they have in the large cities. They really need some national charging infra for EVs if they are going to get serious.

I was reading about an ambitious rollout of charging infra-structure planned in Kfar Sava, a northern city/ 'burb of Tel Aviv. For reasons beyond me they appear to have chosen 22 kW 3 phase AC at $1,100 a location. That works for the old Renault Zoe but every other EV sold these days I can think of are single phase. Perhaps they will be converted in the future to slow, but much more useful DC charging to take advantage of the power.

Israel's population is densely packed and almost all live in apartments. Parking is a nightmare. It is hard to imagine low density L2 charging being successful. I think they either have to subsidize low density, really fast charging; or ubiquitous L2 charging at $500 an EVSE. For now, the national plan (of which Kfar Sava is the first part) through 2020 calls for 1/3 of the $8M USD budget to be spent on 2,500 locations with 3 phase AC, and 0.43 of the budget spent on 80 DCFC of the 50 and 150 kW variety. 1/3 + 0.43 does not equal 1, but this is government at work.

They will end up with a handful of useful 150 kW locations for $8 million USD even though the governmnationaent estimate is ~ $45k per DCFC location.

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-32-cities-seek-govt-support-for-electric-car-charging-points-1001278801

Sheeeit.

Back